An odd question.

jonsidneyb

I do have a ticket in to my hosting company.

The oddest things happened.

My XenForo site vanished. It it's place is the old vB site that is on the same server.

I have not been in the server. How could something like this happen?

It sounds like they've restored/reverted to an old backup. What are the dates on the the posts/threads?

The old vB forums were from back in March. I moved the forum to XenForo.

Why would they restore or revert to old backups.

What has me spooked is that they have always been fast at responding to tickets.

If they restored or reverted to an old backup does that mean theyy deleted my forum?

If you're on a shared server, another client may have requested a restore and you may have gotten reverted as well.

Otherwise, no idea. Your host will have to answer that one.

My forum is edcforums.com
edcforums.webp

When you go to edcforums.com now it takes you to the old vB4 site.

I sure hope they didn't destroy my forum.

Do you have any ping monitoring, uptime checks, Google Analytics, etc. that you could check for downtime of your server in recent hours?

A disk failure might have dictated a restore to an older backup drive but I'd expect to see some offline time if that was the case (assuming the datacentre engineer would have had to identify your server, shut it down, remove it from the rack, swap drives, etc.)

At 4:20 AM it was Xenforo. I hit refresh and it was gone. I put the ticket in at 4:44 so sometime between 4:20 AM and 4:44 Am the XenForo board vanished and vB4 went up.

I am still waiting for them to respond. They have never taken this long on a ticket before.

Your database is the key to your site. That is the most critical part of it. The web server files can be replaced, but the database where your XF site was served from needs to be recovered intact to get your site back up in short-order.

At 4:20 AM it was Xenforo. I hit refresh and it was gone. I put the ticket in at 4:44 so sometime between 4:20 AM and 4:44 Am the XenForo board vanished and vB4 went up.

That just doesn't sound right at all - switching from one to the other in minutes - that would have to be some kind of fallover setup to drop from one drive to the backup drive in case of failure, but that generally doesn't come on basic dedicated boxes (unless your hosts have something in place to do this).

Hmmmm ... odd. :confused:

Yeah, can't find anything really positive or negative in regards to your current situation. I guess all you can do is wait, but make sure you press for the details of how and why this happened. I just certainly hope they retained your data properly as they should have.

Yeah, can't find anything really positive or negative in regards to your current situation. I guess all you can do is wait, but make sure you press for the details of how and why this happened. I just certainly hope they retained your data properly as they should have.

Thanks. :)

Top Bottom