XF 1.1 An exception occurred: Mysqli prepare error: Unknown storage engine 'InnoDB'

Vijay

My site went offline moments ago with this error:

An exception occurred: Mysqli prepare error: Unknown storage engine 'InnoDB' in /home/myaccount/public_html/library/Zend/Db/Statement/Mysqli.php on line 77

Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_prepare() in Zend/Db/Statement.php at line 115
Zend_Db_Statement->__construct() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Mysqli.php at line 381
Zend_Db_Adapter_Mysqli->prepare() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 478
Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 825
Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->fetchOne() in XenForo/Error.php at line 50
XenForo_Error::unexpectedException() in XenForo/Application.php at line 295
XenForo_Application::handleException()

Suggestions?

Now the error changed to An exception occurred: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) in /home/stockmar/public_html/library/Zend/Db/Adapter/Mysqli.php on line 333

Has my mysql server crashed?

My host sucks - This is the 4th time this month the site has gone offline with same MySQL issues. In cpanel I tried to access mysql, it shows MySQL server is offline and phpmyadmin says MySQL said:
#2002 - The server is not responding (or the local MySQL server's socket is not correctly configured)

I spoke with my host. They told me that mysql was abused by some other account in shared hosting and it led to this issue. They were working on removing the abusive account from the server. It has been more than two hours and site is still down. This is the fourth time this month I am facing outage due to their MySQL server offline issue. I wonder if it violates their 99.9% uptime guarantee.

3 months of hosting in India has resulted in 4 tickets in 1 month for the same MySQL problem. I had my peace of mind when the site was hosted in US. Just 1 Mysql issue in 5 years!

Maybe time to start shopping around for a new host Vijay? ;)

I guess so. This is so awful. I just received my first reply to a ticket marked as critical.

"We apologize for the hassles here.We are having some unprecedented issues with MYSQL Innodb engine and our technical team is working on getting it fixed with the highest priority. The ETA is 1-2 hrs. We again regret for the inconvenience"

On the phone the guy told me that since one customer abused MySQL, there was a server wide downtime. I fail to understand how much time does it take to disable one customer and restart SQL services for the rest of the customers?

Current downtime: 5 hours
Hosting Company: Hostgator India (www.hostgator.in)

:(

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes we can understand it but our senior admins are still working on it to resolve this issue and really we needed your assistance and co-operation. We assure you that once the issue will get fixed, you will not face such problem again.

Thats the reply.
:(

Sorry to hear that Vijay. It takes less than 2 hours to transfer a site from one host to another.... (assuming you aren't a big board!).

The main hostgator.com host isn't bad, though they aren't the best. You can switch to hostgator or try one of the smaller hosts who are known for better service. You can research about hosts on webhostingtalk.com

Sorry to hear that Vijay. It takes less than 2 hours to transfer a site from one host to another.... (assuming you aren't a big board!).

The main hostgator.com host isn't bad, though they aren't the best. You can switch to hostgator or try one of the smaller hosts who are known for better service. You can research about hosts on webhostingtalk.com

It's not a large forum and I can migrate within an hour. But I chose an Indian host due to the speed advantage. I have experience with US based hosts and they have been excellent.

Update to ticket:

Hello Vijay,

This issue has already been escalated to our senior admins and they are working relentlessly to get the sites and services up and running.

We would appreciate your co-operation and understanding in the mean while.

The ETA at the moment is 9 PM for recovery.

We would appreciate your continued patience in the mean while.

Thank you

Sincerely,

I fail to understand what are they doing since past 8 hours!! I hope they have not lost the db.

Update: Site still down. 13 hours.

Got hold of someone in chat. Man, they just don't want to tell what is going on. All canned responses. Someone told me that INNODB engine has crashed. They're trying to recover data and some data is unrecoverable. He told me they have a backup. Just wondering why would it take 12 hours if they have a back up?

I am expecting the worst here.

Bad luck buddy.... Since MySQL is down, you will not be able to take a backup yourself either.

Sigh. They have lost the db :(

Dear Sir/Madam,
We regret for this unfortunate incident however due to the Innodb crash we had to completely re-build the entire Innodb Engine as a result of which we had to restore the latest backup which was available with us for some of the databases. I heartily apologize to inform you that the restoration of the database from the backup did not help on the case. Do you happen to have the more current backups of the databases at your end if you do have them please upload it to your account with us and we could get it restored.

We're really sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

My last backup was on July 17. This is so awful. I ran an ad campaign online from June 22 to attract new visitors. Lost all new members, posts, threads and the 50$ on the ads.

What do I do now. I have a July 17 back up. Should simply get a new host or give them the backup to restore it? I don't think Hostgator India is competent enough: technically or otherwise. I considering hosting at Liquidweb.

Agreed - get a new host first - then restore your latest backup (to get you up and running again) - then explain to your membership what has happened and put a more regular backup system in place.

Chalk it up to experience, pick yourself up, dust yourself down - and crack on with building your community. (y)

Cheers,
Shaun :D

If that is your most recent backup then that is what you will have to use. But you should get a new host while you are at it.
Agreed - get a new host first - then restore your latest backup (to get you up and running again) - then explain to your membership what has happened and put a more regular backup system in place.

Chalk it up to experience, pick yourself up, dust yourself down - and crack on with building your community. (y)

Cheers,

Thanks for the response guys. I was angry but I calmed down and asked them one question "What caused this crash?" This is their reply:

Hello Sir/Madam,

The root cause of the issue was one of the in build plugin of the innodb storage engine got deprecated and hence, the innodb got crashed. Which is already been rectified and resolved.

Thank you.

Do you think this can happen on any host that I choose?

My site in Mumbai on Hostgator India is reachable in 6 hops while a competitor's site on Liquidweb is reachable in 11 hops. Should I make the move back to US or give benefit to Hostgator India this time?
So confused (n)

I suspect they've messed up and just don't want to admit it. You could stick with them, but if you do make sure you have a method of taking your backups off-server so that your own data is safe if things go wrong again.

There are plenty of cheap FTP storage accounts you can rent - giving you server-to-server higher bandwidth backup speed - which should allow you to do overnight daily backups (there's plenty of software to automate such things and if you set it up with email notification you'll know, each morning, that your data has been backed-up safe and sound!).

I've been through something similar and it can really get you down (as I'm sure many others have here), but the one thing that came out of it was a better backup plan and some additional redundancy built in to my operation; plus the confidence of knowing you can recover from such things in the future. ;)

Good luck and I hope you're back up and running ASAP. (y)

Cheers,

Top Bottom