Amazon SES Bounces Support 2021-03-19

No permission to download
Hmm, I'm getting these errors when a bounce or complaint comes through:

• ErrorException: [E_NOTICE] Trying to get property 'recipient' of non-object

• src/XF/EmailBounce/Processor.php:106
  • Generated by: Unknown account

• May 7, 2021 at 1:46 AM
Code:
#0 src/XF/EmailBounce/Processor.php(106): XF::handlePhpError(8, '[E_NOTICE] Tryi...', '/home/runcloud/...', 106, Array)
#1 src/addons/Laneros/MailTransport/Api/Controller/SnsNotification.php(45): XF\EmailBounce\Processor->processMessage('{"notificationT...')
#2 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(350): Laneros\MailTransport\Api\Controller\SnsNotification->actionPost(Object(XF\Mvc\ParameterBag))
#3 src/XF/Api/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(27): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchClass('Laneros\\MailTra...', 'Post', Object(XF\Api\Mvc\RouteMatch), Object(Laneros\MailTransport\Api\Controller\SnsNotification), NULL)
#4 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(113): XF\Api\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchFromMatch(Object(XF\Api\Mvc\RouteMatch), Object(Laneros\MailTransport\Api\Controller\SnsNotification), NULL)
#5 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(55): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchLoop(Object(XF\Api\Mvc\RouteMatch))
#6 src/XF/App.php(2337): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run()
#7 src/XF.php(488): XF\App->run()
#8 index.php(16): XF::runApp('XF\\Api\\App')
#9 {main}

Code:
array(4) {
  ["url"] => string(22) "/api/amazon-ses/bounce"
  ["referrer"] => bool(false)
  ["_GET"] => array(0) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(0) {
  }
}

And

• TypeError: Argument 3 passed to XF\EmailBounce\Processor::logBounceMessage() must be an instance of XF\EmailBounce\ParseResult, bool given, called in /home/runcloud/webapps/commentari/src/XF/EmailBounce/Processor.php on line 134

• src/XF/EmailBounce/Processor.php:206

• May 7, 2021 at 1:46 AM

Code:
#0 src/XF/EmailBounce/Processor.php(134): XF\EmailBounce\Processor->logBounceMessage('{"notificationT...', NULL, false, NULL)
#1 src/addons/Laneros/MailTransport/Api/Controller/SnsNotification.php(45): XF\EmailBounce\Processor->processMessage('{"notificationT...')
#2 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(350): Laneros\MailTransport\Api\Controller\SnsNotification->actionPost(Object(XF\Mvc\ParameterBag))
#3 src/XF/Api/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(27): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchClass('Laneros\\MailTra...', 'Post', Object(XF\Api\Mvc\RouteMatch), Object(Laneros\MailTransport\Api\Controller\SnsNotification), NULL)
#4 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(113): XF\Api\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchFromMatch(Object(XF\Api\Mvc\RouteMatch), Object(Laneros\MailTransport\Api\Controller\SnsNotification), NULL)
#5 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(55): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchLoop(Object(XF\Api\Mvc\RouteMatch))
#9 {main}

Code:
array(4) {
  ["_GET"] => array(0) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(0) {
  }
}

Let me know how I can help debug this.

Thanks!
Ray
Hey thanks for trying the addon.

Could you please confirm if you checked the Include original headers checkbox? It's in the SES notification configuration.

Hey thanks for trying the addon.

Could you please confirm if you checked the Include original headers checkbox? It's in the SES notification configuration.

Oops, turns out I did have these unchecked. I checked them on and tried again with a fake user but nothing is showing up this time, no notification in XF email error logs or anything.

Just to be sure, I turned on XF's email bounce handling and it successfully processed bounce notifications from the same SNS topic so I know that's at least working.

Anything I can try?

Thanks for your help,
Ray

Oops, turns out I did have these unchecked. I checked them on and tried again with a fake user but nothing is showing up this time, no notification in XF email error logs or anything.

Just to be sure, I turned on XF's email bounce handling and it successfully processed bounce notifications from the same SNS topic so I know that's at least working.

Anything I can try?

Thanks for your help,
Ray
If no error is showing up this time then it's probably sending the notification successfully to your endpoint. You should check the Email bounce log and if you press the View link on a bounced email, you'll see the SNS payload in Json format.

1620409146787.webp

If no error is showing up this time then it's probably sending the notification successfully to your endpoint. You should check the Email bounce log and if you press the View link on a bounced email, you'll see the SNS payload in Json format.

View attachment 251524

I see that but as I said nothing is showing up in the email bounce logs from the SNS/SES notification endpoint?

That's why I temporarily turned on XF's email bounce handling to see if anything showed up and it did via POP emailbox using the same SNS topic that was set for your endpoint.

Anything else I can tweak?

Thanks!
Ray

P.S. I realize you're offering this add-on for free -- I would not mind compensating you for your help in debugging it on my end for your troubles.

P.P.S. On a hunch I thought I'd check my NGNIX error logs and I see this around the same time the SNS/SES notification would poll -- think it's related?

Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 2.20.17 PM.png

P.P.P.S (lol) Okay I adjusted the security settings to allow ignore_user_abort() and the error no longer shows up in the log above but bounce notifications via SNS/SES to your endpoint still don't show up in the XF bounce log so I'm not sure what else I should do?

P.P.P.P.S. The original errors I reported in my first post are back even through I have headers enabled, so what I'm going to do is clear the slate completely on SNS/SES end and re-start the entire set-up just to be sure I hadn't screwed up somewhere. I'll report back later. : )

Last edited:
I see that but as I said nothing is showing up in the email bounce logs from the SNS/SES notification endpoint?

That's why I temporarily turned on XF's email bounce handling to see if anything showed up and it did via POP emailbox using the same SNS topic that was set for your endpoint.

Anything else I can tweak?

Thanks!
Ray

P.S. I realize you're offering this add-on for free -- I would not mind compensating you for your help in debugging it on my end for your troubles.

P.P.S. On a hunch I thought I'd check my NGNIX error logs and I see this around the same time the SNS/SES notification would poll -- think it's related?

View attachment 251529

P.P.P.S (lol) Okay I adjusted the security settings to allow ignore_user_abort() and the error no longer shows up in the log above but bounce notifications via SNS/SES to your endpoint still don't show up in the XF bounce log so I'm not sure what else I should do?

P.P.P.P.S. The original errors I reported in my first post are back even through I have headers enabled, so what I'm going to do is clear the slate completely on SNS/SES end and re-start the entire set-up just to be sure I hadn't screwed up somewhere. I'll report back later. : )
Thank you for the insightful debugging. I'm still not sure what could be wrong with the installation but if you don't see anything hitting the endpoint (/amazon-ses/bounce) in your Nginx logs, then it should be something on the AWS side.

Let me know how it goes with the re-start of the setup steps.

Thank you for the insightful debugging. I'm still not sure what could be wrong with the installation but if you don't see anything hitting the endpoint (/amazon-ses/bounce) in your Nginx logs, then it should be something on the AWS side.

Let me know how it goes with the re-start of the setup steps.

I appreciate your patience too! : )

Okay, I deleted everything and restarted the whole thing following your directions step by step. I can also confirm via the NGNIX logs that the endpoint is receiving a hit from Amazon.

Code:
[07/May/2021:21:44:35 +0000] "POST /api/amazon-ses/bounce HTTP/1.1" 500 149 "-" "Amazon Simple Notification Service Agent" "-"

However, these errors persist in the XF server error logs (and the bounce logs show no results):

• May 7, 2021 at 5:44 PM
Code:
[HEADING=2]Stack trace[/HEADING]
#0 src/XF/EmailBounce/Processor.php(106): XF::handlePhpError(8, '[E_NOTICE] Tryi...', '/home/runcloud/...', 106, Array)
#9 {main}

[HEADING=2]Request state[/HEADING]
array(4) {
  ["_GET"] => array(0) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(0) {
  }
}

And:

Code:
#9 {main}
[HEADING=2][/HEADING]
array(4) {
  ["_GET"] => array(0) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(0) {
  }
}

I'm not sure what else I can do. Any ideas?

Much appreciated,
Ray

P.S. I reinstalled the XF mailer files and the above error went away (updated to XF 2.2.5).

However, I noticed the Amazon SNS notifier is still sending an email too even though I deleted that subscription and topic. It's also stopped pinging your script upon a bounce, so I suspect this may be on Amazon's side where it may be caching the old topics/subscriptions even though they've been deleted.

I think I'll give it a day or three and see if things clear up and try again. Soooo odd.

Last edited:
I appreciate your patience too! : )

Okay, I deleted everything and restarted the whole thing following your directions step by step. I can also confirm via the NGNIX logs that the endpoint is receiving a hit from Amazon.

Code:
[07/May/2021:21:44:35 +0000] "POST /api/amazon-ses/bounce HTTP/1.1" 500 149 "-" "Amazon Simple Notification Service Agent" "-"

However, these errors persist in the XF server error logs (and the bounce logs show no results):

Code:
#9 {main}

array(4) {
  ["_GET"] => array(0) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(0) {
  }
}

And:

Code:
#9 {main}
[HEADING=2][/HEADING]
array(4) {
  ["_GET"] => array(0) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(0) {
  }
}

I'm not sure what else I can do. Any ideas?

Much appreciated,
Ray

P.S. I reinstalled the XF mailer files and the above error went away (updated to XF 2.2.5).

However, I noticed the Amazon SNS notifier is still sending an email too even though I deleted that subscription and topic. It's also stopped pinging your script upon a bounce, so I suspect this may be on Amazon's side where it may be caching the old topics/subscriptions even though they've been deleted.

I think I'll give it a day or three and see if things clear up and try again. Soooo odd.
Thanks for reporting back to me. I'll have to investigate those logs and even maybe provide you with a custom version that would log even more information when that kind of error happens. Please let me know if something changes in the following hours. I'll get in touch once I have the special version uploaded to github.

Thanks for your help!

I'll try re-setting everything up sometime tomorrow which should been enough time for Amazon to clear out whatever it is on their end. Will let you know!

Thank you,
Ray

Thanks very much for this @JulianD

I'm hopeful you can kindly answer a query I have when I get to this section;

Assign the SNS Topic to your SES Domain Name​

Now you need to tell to AWS SES that the topic you created in the first section needs to be associated with the Bounces and Complaints notification for your forum domain name.

• Go to the SES Home in your AWS Console and press the Domains section under Identity Manager (SES console version 1) or to the Verified Identities under Configuration (SES console version 2)
  • Select the domain name used to send emails from your forum.
  • Go to the Notifications section and press the Edit Configuration button (SES console version 1) or the Edit button under the Feedback Notifications section (SES console version 2)
  • For the Bounces and Complaint feedback, choose the SNS Topic you created in the first section of this tutorial. It's the same SNS Topic for both options.
  • Make sure the Include original headers checkbox is checked.
  • Hit the Save button and that's it! Amazon should send a notification to the addon every time there's a bounce or complaint for one of your emails.

I use the same domain for our newsletter service (sendy.co) and so, the domain already has a SNS topic for Bounces and Complaints that send a notification to sendy for bounces/complaints.

This means, there's already an SNS Topic allocated to both.

Would you know how I could proceed at this stage?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks very much for this @JulianD

I'm hopeful you can kindly answer a query I have when I get to this section;

I use the same domain for our newsletter service (sendy.co) and so, the domain already has a SNS topic for Bounces and Complaints that send a notification to sendy for bounces/complaints.

This means, there's already an SNS Topic allocated to both.

Would you know how I could proceed at this stage?

Hope that makes sense.
Hello And thanks for your question. That makes perfect sense and I'm actually also using sendy on my xenforo site.

My initial guess is that the domain name can have several sns notification topics one for each service so just go ahead and create a new one for your forum.

If it doesn't work, let me know and I'll take a look later today.

Last edited:
Hello And thanks for your answer. That makes perfect sense and I'm actually also using sendy on my xenforo site.

My initial guess is that the domain name can have several sns notification topics one for each service so just go ahead and create a new one for your forum.

If it doesn't work, let me know and I'll take a look later today.

Thanks.

I figured so myself, but the Notifications section only seems to allow an edit/allocation for one bounce and one complaint feedback topic.

So the domain name only allows (as far as I can see), one notification topic for each service.

I'm wondering if I need to create a duplicate domain (if thats allowed), or whether there's something I'm missing :unsure:

Thanks.

I figured so myself, but the Notifications section only seems to allow an edit/allocation for one bounce and one complaint feedback topic.

So the domain name only allows (as far as I can see), one notification topic for each service.

I'm wondering if I need to create a duplicate domain (if thats allowed), or whether there's something I'm missing :unsure:
So apparently, what you need to do is to modify the existing notification topic created by sendy and add a new subscription to it pointing to the plugin's endpoint.

As soon as I can I will update the instructions! Thanks for letting me know about this issue.

So apparently, what you need to do is to modify the existing notification topic created by sendy and add a new subscription to it pointing to the plugin's endpoint.

As soon as I can I will update the instructions! Thanks for letting me know about this issue.

Phew, glad you'll be updating the instructions - I'd have no clue! Thanks again

@JulianD

I'm also getting this errors:

Server-Fehlerprotokoll
  • TypeError: Argument 3 passed to XF\EmailBounce\Processor::logBounceMessage() must be an instance of XF\EmailBounce\ParseResult, bool given, called in /var/www/share/xxxxxxx.com/htdocs/src/XF/EmailBounce/Processor.php on line 134
  • src/XF/EmailBounce/Processor.php:206
  • Generiert von: Unbekanntes Konto
  • 21 Juli 2021 um 23:16

Stack-Trace​

#0 src/XF/EmailBounce/Processor.php(134): XF\EmailBounce\Processor->logBounceMessage('{"notificationT...', NULL, false, NULL)
#6 src/XF/App.php(2344): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run()
#7 src/XF.php(512): XF\App->run()
#9 {main}

Status der Anfrage​

array(4) {
["_GET"] => array(1) {
["/api/amazon-ses/bounce"] => string(0) ""
}
["_POST"] => array(0) {
}
}

Server-Fehlerprotokoll
  • Generiert von: Unbekanntes Konto
  • 21 Juli 2021 um 23:16

Stack-Trace​

#0 src/XF/EmailBounce/Processor.php(106): XF::handlePhpError(8, '[E_NOTICE] Tryi...', '/var/www/share/...', 106, Array)
#6 src/XF/App.php(2344): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run()
#7 src/XF.php(512): XF\App->run()
#9 {main}

Status der Anfrage​

array(4) {
["_GET"] => array(1) {
["/api/amazon-ses/bounce"] => string(0) ""
}
["_POST"] => array(0) {
}
}

Include original headers is activated:

1626903496559.png

Just installed this plugin and don't understand all of its functions.

But I got these two errors:

and

• TypeError: Argument 3 passed to XF\EmailBounce\Processor::logBounceMessage() must be an instance of XF\EmailBounce\ParseResult, bool given, called in .....

Top Bottom