Resource icon

Amazon SES Bounces Support 2021-03-19

No permission to download
It works fine . I just haven't had the time to keep developing it. Let me know if you get it to work.

Getting lots of these too since installing and setting this up

• ErrorException: [E_WARNING] Attempt to read property "recipient" on bool
  • src/XF/EmailBounce/Processor.php:106
  • Generated by: Unknown account
  • Apr 23, 2023 at 6:36 PM

Stack trace​

#0 src/XF/EmailBounce/Processor.php(106): XF::handlePhpError(2, '[E_WARNING] Att...', '/home/nginx/dom...', 106)
#1 src/addons/Laneros/MailTransport/Api/Controller/SnsNotification.php(45): XF\EmailBounce\Processor->processMessage('{"notificationT...')
#2 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(352): Laneros\MailTransport\Api\Controller\SnsNotification->actionPost(Object(XF\Mvc\ParameterBag))
#3 src/XF/Api/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(27): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchClass('Laneros\\MailTra...', 'Post', Object(XF\Api\Mvc\RouteMatch), Object(Laneros\MailTransport\Api\Controller\SnsNotification), NULL)
#4 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(115): XF\Api\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchFromMatch(Object(XF\Api\Mvc\RouteMatch), Object(Laneros\MailTransport\Api\Controller\SnsNotification), NULL)
#5 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(57): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchLoop(Object(XF\Api\Mvc\RouteMatch))
#6 src/XF/App.php(2483): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run()
#7 src/XF.php(524): XF\App->run()
#8 index.php(16): XF::runApp('XF\\Api\\App')
#9 {main}

Request state​

array(4) {
["url"] => string(22) "/api/amazon-ses/bounce"
["referrer"] => bool(false)
["_GET"] => array(1) {
["/api/amazon-ses/bounce"] => string(0) ""
}
["_POST"] => array(0) {
}
}

Just installed this after seeing some bounces in the Amazon SES charts and not getting anything in my bounced log. Getting the same error upon initial install.
Thanks for being willing to take a look at it @JulianD!
Have you thought about seeing if @Xon may be interested in taking this over?

Last edited:
Hi,

I test this addon in one of my forums. I made all the required configurations in Amazon SNS and SES successfully and installed the addon. But If I send an email to a test account with a fake address, there is no bounce in the bounce_email-inbox. I did run the cron job manually to be sure.

What could be the reason?

If I call "mydomainname.com/api/amazon-ses/bounce" via the browser I get the following screen

addon_json_screenshot.jpg:

What could be the reason?
This add-on hasn't been updated/supported in a while.. the original author indicates he doesn't have time to do so... It would be REALLY nice if another active developer would at least fork this since it is apparently on GIT. If I was decent at programming (which I am NOT) I'd be happy to do it.
I have decent luck with my setup on bounced using SES.. and ended up disabling this add-on since it had issues.. but this is a MUCH cleaner way to handle the bounce/unsubscribe process when using SES.
You would think that the @XenForo developers would have an interest in this since a LOT of their admins use SES to provide transactional emails.. but the simple fact is... they would rather push many aspects of the script off to third party developers as it is "easier".

But in this thread people confirmed that it is still working with XF 2.2x?
Didn't work for me.... that's why I disabled it.

Screen Shot 2023-06-19 at 6.57.14 AM.webp

For some reason, my hard bounces ARE working without any issue without this add-on. Created a new user, gave it a BS email, started a convo with that account, then manually ran my bounce processing. That user ended up on a hard bounce status.

Screen Shot 2023-06-19 at 6.52.54 AM.webp
Screen Shot 2023-06-19 at 6.55.50 AM.webp

There's nothing that needs to be changed, this add-on works fine.

People seem to be getting confused with how it works though. It doesn't use the bounce mailbox anymore and goes directly via sns.

So if you install it and then use the "test email" function in xenforo there is nothing to see.

Does that mean I have to delete my bounce and unsubscribe email addresses in the XF ACP/email option setttings?

No manual cron job needed?

I deleted both email addresses (bounce and subscribe) in XF/ACP email options and sent again an email to an invalid email address. Still no change in user status.

How long does it take Amazon SES to send the SNS to Xenforo, so the user status gets changed?

@benFF

In your Amazon SES settings for notification of your URL, does it look like this?

addon_SES_settings_notifications.webp

and in your XF/ACP email options, are bounce email address and unsubscribe email address empty like this?

addon_XF_ACP_email_settings_bounces.webp

Yes for the SNS settings - make sure the endpoint is https://www.yourdomain.com/api/amazon-ses/bounce

I still use the unsubscribe address though, as that's for something different.

My bounce is blank.

Check your bounce log to see if anything is showing up https://www.yourdomain.com/admin.php?logs/email-bounces

All done

The check for raw I did not have yet. Have done it now, but no difference in results.

Should the SNS change the user status within XF immediately or do I have to wait i.e. for 15 minutes?

Do you have XF DKIM enabled?

Top Bottom