Am I in the small minority?

AdamD

When I see companies like IB, sueing their new competitors, not because they have a valid case, but because they want them out of business, purely because they see them as a threat to their profits, I am disgusted.

I find the whole thing vile and perhaps it's odd, but I feel a deep resentment for said companies like IB and vow never to do business with them again.

And yet, most people seem to either not care, or do care, but continue to do business with them.

I find such people puzzling, at best, as why would they support companies who are not only destroying people's businesses, but they're seriously affecting peoples lives with lots of added stress and disruption.

In a lot of ways, it reminds me of the TV series "What would you do?" (search youtube for some good videos on that) and how people can completely turn a blind eye to bad things people, or companies do.

I dont think you are in a minority, atleast on this site :)
Many people udnerstand why IB are doing this, but very few people support it.

Even on the VB site which I have been a member for around 2 years now, I hear about many disgruntled users

Many people claim to have morale groundings, but when it comes to putting their money where their mouth is, they often don't have the resolve they claimed to have.

At the end of the day, exploitation is everywhere, disgusting as it is, you just have to hope the good guy comes out on top.

Heh, well I don't claim to have a high or superior moral grounding, I just stop doing business with people like IB.

It bothers me that their actions are based on profit only, not because Kier and co did something wrong

It bothers me that they are doing this with absolutely no regard for the damage they're doing, not only to the XF brand, but also to the people involves and the families.

Perhaps that sounds a little dramatic, but still hehe

Customers don't like change and it will take a lot for them to leave. Also when your whole site is build around a certain script it's not exactly straight forward. The ethics thing, not sure how big of a role that plays in the majority. But it's probably not the most important determinant.

I hear ya, but I seriously can't fathom why some people just stick their fingers in their ears and claim they don't want any part in it.

If more people stood upto companies like IB, either by walking out, not buying their services, the world would be a much better place in my opinion.

I remember many years ago, Jack Tramiel was quoted as saying: "Business is like war". He later responded that " I never said business is like war. I said business IS war"!

When I see companies like IB, sueing their new competitors, not because they have a valid case, but because they want them out of business, purely because they see them as a threat to their profits, I am disgusted.

I find the whole thing vile and perhaps it's odd, but I feel a deep resentment for said companies like IB and vow never to do business with them again.

And yet, most people seem to either not care, or do care, but continue to do business with them.

I find such people puzzling, at best, as why would they support companies who are not only destroying people's businesses, but they're seriously affecting peoples lives with lots of added stress and disruption.

In a lot of ways, it reminds me of the TV series "What would you do?" (search youtube for some good videos on that) and how people can completely turn a blind eye to bad things people, or companies do.

Most of the time the "end user" doesn't really care what the company behind a product has done, or is doing. Not if they are happy with what they use purchased from them. Many like using vBulletin, the same as some enjoy using XenForo or IPB. That's just the way the cookie crumbles.

There's plenty news about other companies doing bad things, like stories about Microsoft doing shady things to get their own way. But it doesn't stop you using Windows does it?

It bothers me that their actions are based on profit only...
Their initial actions were based on spite and wildly irrational hubris. Their more recent actions would seem to be based on confusion, fear and that sinking feeling you get when you realize that you are well and truly f#cked.

But you are correct in assuming that most people don't care.

Business is war, yes, but you can wage war and still sleep at night if you maintain integrity in the face of conflict.

Their initial actions were based on spite and wildly irrational hubris. Their more recent actions would seem to be based on confusion, fear and that sinking feeling you get when you realize that you are well and truly f#cked.
It's ironic really, because before that, wasn't Adrian himself wishing them well and how competition was great? heh

Isn't Adrian just an employee of IB though? I mean, it wasn't him personally who started the legal action against XenForo. Maybe he does wish them well from his own perspective.

hahah no one makes a point quite like you, Michael.

Yep, that was the nail in the coffin actually for me as well... if they didn't do what they did, I would still be using VB. Because VB showed its true colours, I refused to give my business to such a company with zero ethics.

I must say though... that I can also understand why some cannot change. If you run a forum like Digital Point, as an example, that is a business that creates enormous amounts of money, one cannot just pickup and change abruptly to a new platform. You may want to change, but at the end of the day, some forums are businesses, not hobbies, thus change can be slow and / or have consequences. A large business forum may change in the coming years, but it will take just that, a good year or two of developing equality in a new product, before a site could even think about changing. Some large sites like DP are so far from standard, its just not even funny... so change is not easy.

For all those smaller sites though / hobby based sites, I concur... change away from such immoral companies is the only way to show them how to conduct themselves in business, and how not too.

Top Bottom