ALWAYS Save a Site Backup To Your Computer!

kyrgyz, I have one for my music and photo files on another computer. Maybe I should just pick one up for my laptop where I do most of my work and have that as my backup. Good point, thanks. :)

YESSSSSS!!! I got my blog back!! INTACT!

I got those same goosebumps last night Arny, when Chris emailed me to tell me that after working on those servers ALL DAY yesterday, they were able to extract the data from it, and retrieve our sites, intact! I nearly cried!

I'm on my blog right now, and gonna do a happy dance as soon as I'm finished typing!
bunny.gif
congrats Peggy

if they are wiredtree resellers they might have opted for r1soft.com cdp backup feature which can backup and restore full servers within minutes from remote servers.

I also use wiredtree with r1soft cdp backups very useful but i also send backups to a non-wiredtree web server as well as download to local pc a copy of my sites.

congrats Peggy

if they are wiredtree resellers they might have opted for r1soft.com cdp backup feature which can backup and restore full servers within minutes from remote servers.

I also use wiredtree with r1soft cdp backups very useful but i also send backups to a non-wiredtree web server as well as download to local pc a copy of my sites.
Thanks. I'll definitely be keeping a backup on my pc from now on.

YESSSSSS!!! I got my blog back!! INTACT!

I got those same goosebumps last night Arny, when Chris emailed me to tell me that after working on those servers ALL DAY yesterday, they were able to extract the data from it, and retrieve our sites, intact! I nearly cried!

I'm on my blog right now, and gonna do a happy dance as soon as I'm finished typing!
bunny.gif
CONGRATS!!!!!!
OMG! I got the best news this morning.....

....I literally had goosebumps this morning and nearly got emotional when thinking that about 2.5 years of my work was wiped out! So far, the nameservers have been changed and TheMysteryDistrict.com is back up while I'm waiting for WaltDisneyBoards.com to be back and ready to rock!

First goal? Get a backup of both sites and burn them to disc as well as save them to my local computer! :D
NEARLY??? I bet you were!!!! Congrats.

Glad you guys got your backups recovered :D

I'm so up tight about backups it's not even funny :P comes from the business I'm in (I provide IT and Network support for Law and Trading Firms) on my host itself it does hourly backups of the sql and website folders, and then once a week I push a copy of it up to the Amazon cloud as well as a copy to my home computer. If the cloud my provider and my home machine all go down I'll take that as a sign that the website was not meant to be :P

Also for overkill you can get a dirty cheap vps account on a seperate server/host and just send a 2nd backup to that server for storing a static backup - if you setup rsync you can sync one way from live to vps backup the actual static files, so if you site is down for too long, just update domain dns to vps ip with most recent database backup. That's poor mans method as some vps packages are cheaper than ftp remote backup solutions.

Just head to webhostingtalk.com vps offers forums for deals :)

Reason i suggest a 2nd server location besides your own pc is personal pcs can also get corrupted - viruses/malware, hardware failure/ issues etc. ;)

p.s. one important point overlooked, is size of site data being backed up and transfer speed between web hosts/online backup services - you'd want to test the transfer speed otherwise you could be trying to transfer 20GB at 500kb/s vs 10MB/s = 11+ hrs vs 35 mins hehe

Over doing something is usually counter productive.
Best practice : make a nightly backup to an off site host.
I think the reason I do is the regulatory practices I have to deal with daily with my job, they require us to keep multiple backups in different locations at least 30 miles away from the main site.

Only seen this today. Sorry about your website.

This has no doubt been covered by now, but the excuse given by the host is nosensical - ddos attacks do not take out racks of servers or destroy data on disks - DDOS = Distibuted Denial Of Service - all it does is choke the network connectivity to your site. Most large sites suffer regular ddos attacks - take vbulletin.com, it gets them several times a year, no damage, no data loss, just an inability to access the site. Whatever happened to their server, it was not a ddos that destroyed them.

Only seen this today. Sorry about your website.

This has no doubt been covered by now, but the excuse given by the host is nosensical - ddos attacks do not take out racks of servers or destroy data on disks - DDOS = Distibuted Denial Of Service - all it does is choke the network connectivity to your site. Most large sites suffer regular ddos attacks - take vbulletin.com, it gets them several times a year, no damage, no data loss, just an inability to access the site. Whatever happened to their server, it was not a ddos that destroyed them.

Well I got it all back, so all it good. Thanks!

And please test those backups! At least a few times a year.

yoursite.com/test <-install a copy of your backup and make sure it works.
I will!

I use rsync to backup my data on a nightly basis to a remote host. Instead of FTPing the entire site each time, rsync can determine the difference on the remote site and transfers only what has changed.

Top Bottom