Lack of interest Always fetch RSS feeds in chronological order?

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Despair

Currently feeds are fetched five entries at a time, with those set of five entries in chronological order, but not as a whole if more than five entries need to be imported. For example, if you import a new feed with, say, 11 entries, your forum list might look like the left, ideally how it looks on the right would be preferred:

Code:
// 3rd set          // 3rd set
11th newest entry   1st newest entry

// 2nd set          // 2nd set
6th newest entry    2th newest entry
7th newest entry    3th newest entry
8th newest entry    4th newest entry
9th newest entry    5th newest entry
10th newest entry   6th newest entry

// 1st set          // 1st set
1st newest entry    7st newest entry
2nd newest entry    8nd newest entry
3rd newest entry    9rd newest entry
4th newest entry    10th newest entry
5th newest entry    11th newest entry

After the initial imports, you may also run into this situation again if the feeds creates more than five entries before the next import runs. Setting to fetch the feed every 10 minutes may help for imports after the initial ones, but that's assuming your forum has enough traffic to trigger the cron? You may also get some weird import patterns if between importing the next set it just so happens a new entry is added to the feed.

Hence, I'd like to suggest to import them in chronological order. Another thing to consider may be simply allowing admins to adjust the number of entries to fetch per import. Currently I adjusted the $_maxEntriesPerImport property to a high number, which seems to have no problems. This is also helpful for when adding a new feed, you could click import now once and add all the entries at once, without having to do it until all the entries are added. In my case, the feed I was trying had 40 entries max, and that resorted to pressing import now 8 times with threads not in chronological order vs. pressing import now once and having them all set chronologically.

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Seconded

In it's current form it doesn't work very well when starting a new feed or with busy feeds.

An option of how many to import would be ideal.

Another suggestion: It would be nice to be able to enter the feed title during the initial setup rather than having to edit it again to change the title. Unfortunately there are many feeds out there that don't provide a title or the title is meaningless.

Top Bottom