Alternate word for "prefix"

Dixie McCall

What would be another term to use for the word "prefix?" It seems as though the term "prefix" is not widely known among non forum admins. Would like to change this in my community but can't think of a good terms to use.

Well, i use #hashtags instead of prefix. Works great, since everybody knows what as hashtag is.

Usually in my nodes choosing a prefix is mandatory, but the default option is 'chit chat'.

When i implemented this mandatory prefix selection i faced a user communist revolution in my Forum. Some heads was chopped down and now everything works great. The users even use the prefix now to filter their content.

Well, i use #hashtags instead of prefix. Works great, since everybody knows what as hashtag is.

Usually in my nodes choosing a prefix is mandatory, but the default option is 'chit chat'.

When i implemented this mandatory prefix selection i faced a user communist revolution in my Forum. Some heads was chopped down and now everything works great. The users even use the prefix now to filter their content.

Well that's one way to get ahead of the problem. :):p

I use Subject.

Title and Subject are common terms. So they enter a thread title and pick the subject matter, and they get to sort the forum by subject.

Maybe it can work for you, maybe not.

If I have to post a notice I call them Subject tags, as in, "When composing your post please choose a descriptive Title and the appropriate Subject tag." But it's just called Subject in the selector.

Just an example. It works for me because all of my prefixes are subject matter. Like Photography >> Nature, or Camera >> Lenses, etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom