XF 1.5 Almost all guests viewing 'help' page?

Brad Padgett

Hello guys.

Just started a new site. I've had it up for only 5 days and were already receiving 200 unique visitors a day.

I have an issue and would like to know why it's happening.

It appears the majority of guests that come in are viewing the help page? When I go to look at the members online now it says 'viewing help'.

I wasn't sure why but then I invited someone and it said he was doing the same thing. It doesn't do this for everyone but just some of the guests.

Anyone know why?

Ideally we'd be able to see this in place. I loaded the site in your customer area but just got a DB error.

Hey thanks for the response.

Yeah that's because I was updating PHP versions and encountered an issue with easyapache. The build was unsuccessful and it gave my site a database error and basically broke it until I can get a successful build or find out why.

Since you responded do you have any ideas?

Also you'd be able to see if it was in place if the site was back online but as of now I'm stuck until I can take care of this issue. I'm working with my host currently to find out how to get past the database error.

EDIT: Also I might be switching this particular site over to vbulletin 5. So this issue probably won't be able to be resolved on my end. I still plan on being a developer on xenforo when I can finish learning php and contributing to this community too. I have other plans for my xenforo license. All will work out.

Last edited:
Without seeing it in place, nothing explicit. I'd guess there's something being loaded unexpectedly that is hitting a help page, but I'd need to be able to analyze the page to determine that.

You can take a look at my site now if there are any guests online when you view it. I don't know why I switched to vBulletin 5. Thought the site would be more successful but I soon realized it was a waste of time so I reverted back to Xenforo.

http://www.codeshrek.com

And yes the majority of them are still viewing the help page. If you don't see any guests when you go to the site keep checking back and you'll notice. The sites new so we get guests every so often. Thanks for your help.

I see 1 guest online, viewing the list of online members (unsurprisingly).

Yeah you'll have to check back to see an example. We were getting around 200 unique a day. I switched to vb5 like an idiot because my old site thexboxcloud had done much better on vb5 when I had it. I had thought it would boost our traffic but we started getting like 50 visitors a day and it pretty much opened my eyes.

Anyways as for the ticket I made yesterday @Brogan, I won't be selling my license any time soon if ever. I'm looking forward to Xenforo 2 releasing and I plan to stick around for the long run. I'm in the process of learning object oriented php and wanted to contribute the best I knew how once I learn.

As for an example, if you want to see one just keep checking back. It's not every single guest however the majority are viewing the help page when they first arrive. If you think you know what it is @Mike or think it could be a bug then I would monitor the site to find out. If you have to have an example that is.

To be honest I'm not sure what it is. Whether they are actually seeing the help page or if it just says that. You'll have to feel me in on those details. Thanks for the support.

I couldn't see it when I looked earlier. Unfortunately, without steps to recreate it, I have to guess that they are actually viewing a help page (or something coming from it).

It can only be one of two things - they are viewing the help page, or a buggy add-on/modification is causing it.

It's more than one. It's pretty much 2/3 I would say that come in. So there's definitely no way they're viewing the help page on their own. I don't have any modification installed except for All Rich Usernames and [bd] Widget Framework along with themescorp lastpost avatar and slider module that both come with the style. So if that helps open the spectrum of ruling either one out then that's good.

I couldn't see it when I looked earlier. Unfortunately, without steps to recreate it, I have to guess that they are actually viewing a help page (or something coming from it).

There's been way too many for this to be possible. You'll just need to take my word for it, at least my word as it's trying to help.

We get like 1 or 2 guests every so often but they come in a lot throughout the day. Around 2/3 of them are viewing the help page. This has to be something else. I never had this issue on TheXboxCloud and had both those mods installed. Possibly a themescorp issue? Don't want to say that but if it's not widget framework or all rich usernames which I'm pretty sure it's not then not sure what else is left to examine. They're definitely not choosing to view the help page.

It very well could be theme related, particularly if there's some sort of image or request that's being made in the background that hits a help page. If you can figure out a way to reproduce it, then we may be able to identify the specific cause.

It very well could be theme related, particularly if there's some sort of image or request that's being made in the background that hits a help page. If you can figure out a way to reproduce it, then we may be able to identify the specific cause.

Well for now I guess we'll just have to hold off on it since there aren't enough guests yet for you to notice it. If you monitor the site you'll eventually see it. However for now it's okay if we don't worry about it. Since to be quite honest I don't believe there actually hitting the help page itself I just think that it says that.

Anyways if I find another way to recreate it I'll definitely let you know.

Top Bottom