1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot Reproduce Allowed Attachment File Extensions issue with Firefox (current - 17.0.1)

Discussion in 'Resolved Bug Reports' started by ManOnDaMoon, Dec 12, 2012.

1. ManOnDaMoon

ManOnDaMoon Well-Known Member

This is probably a FF bug, but reporting nonetheless.
    Issue encountered by the members of my website. I was able to reproduce with a completely fresh XF install with default generated config.php, browsing with Mozilla Firefox (17.0.1 and some previous versions).

The "jpe" extension messes up with the selectable file types in Firefox, e.g.: GIF files are not selectable anymore.
    Do not ask me where this "jpe" extension comes from. I have no idea.

Steps to reproduce :

Admin CP > Options > Attachments

In the "Allowed Attachment File Extensions" text box, fill either
    Code:
    zip txt pdf png jpg jpeg jpe gif xls xlsx xlsm doc docx docm odf mp3 ogg
    or
    Code:
    zip
    txt
    pdf
    png
    jpg
    jpeg
    jpe
    gif
    xls
    xlsx
    xlsm
    doc
    docx
    docm
    odf
    mp3
    ogg
    Open Firefox, try to upload an attachment in a reply or in a new thread. Only a few types of files are displayed by the upload dialog.

Content of the directory :
    xentest_folder.png

Upload dialog in Chrome :
    xentest_chrome.png

Upload dialog in FF with the list above as Allowed Attachment File Extensions :
    xentest_ff17.0.1_with_JPE.PNG

Somehow, removing the jpe extension partly fixes the issue :
    With list
    Code:
    zip txt pdf png jpg jpeg gif xls xlsx xlsm doc docx docm odf mp3 ogg
    every file types are selectable, not only those in the list (see psd file in the screen cap below)
    xentest_ff17.0.1_wo_JPE.PNG

2. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Using the flash uploader I assume?

I cannot reproduce this problem, but I am on a Mac and you are on Windows. Can some one test this on Windows?

3. cclaerhout

cclaerhout Well-Known Member

I've tested with both uploaders on Windows 7 same version of FF, no problem for me.
    Last thing to check maybe: FF extensions.

Jake Bunce likes this.
  4. ManOnDaMoon

ManOnDaMoon Well-Known Member

Using the Flash uploader, both on Win7 and Win8 according to some users. I'll have another go to check this is not an extension issue (I probably had firebug disabled, but can't remember clearly).

5. Raydianze

Raydianze Member

Same problem here with Win-8 Firefox 17 .... isn't showing files that I have extensions allowed to upload!

6. anothereskimo

anothereskimo Member

Works in FF 21.0 if the file extensions are put in one line, e.g. zip txt pdf doc docx mp3 mp4...

ManOnDaMoon likes this.
  7. ngannguyen

ngannguyen Active Member

Hi,
    I have the same issue with him, I add more extensions for attachment : zip rar txt pdf png jpg jpeg jpe gif doc docx xls xlsx ppt pptx apk ipa deb 7z
    I can browse and view all files I intend to attach in Internet Explorer & Google Chrome, but just can see zip files only in Firefox browser, no other files can be viewed.
    If I reduce the number of file extensions, i.e. zip rar txt pdf png jpg jpeg jpe gif doc docx xls xlsx ppt pptx apk ipa, now I can view images in some extensions in Firefox, no problems with other browsers.
    Headache issue.
    Please support me to fix this issue (view all extensions of attached files in Firefox).

Thanks.

8. ibaker

ibaker Well-Known Member

I have had the same problem for ages with Firefox and unable to select .gif files. The problem has existed throughout versions of Firefox, now running FFv30 and still the same problem.

The allowed extensions I have are:
    zip
    txt
    pdf
    png
    jpg
    jpeg
    gif
    jpe
    doc
    docx
    kmz
    kml
    xls
    xlsx
    ppt
    pptx
    wav

However, the problem goes away by just using the default XF extensions

9. ibaker

ibaker Well-Known Member

Ha, found the culprit...it is the pptx extension that stops gif in mine...simply a process of elimination adding one at a time till it stopped working.

So there does seem to be a bug

10. mailshuxin

mailshuxin Member

File type can not be too much