1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.3 Allowable Usernames

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Floyd R Turbo, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Floyd R Turbo

Floyd R Turbo Well-Known Member

I am working on a conversion, and the source database has both a "username" and a "displayname" field. I am being told by the coders that the "displayname" field cannot be used because of disallowed characters in some usernames, so instead, the "username" field was used. I can easily change this, but I am curious as to what characters are not allowed in XF by default?

2. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

The only character I know of that can't be used in a username is the comma.

3. Floyd R Turbo

@Kier @Mike do you know of any disallowed username characters, other than the comma? Things like - = + & * # etc?

4. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Usernames can't "look like" an email either, but the characters you list are fine.

5. Floyd R Turbo

Thanks @Mike for the reply. The converter company seemed to think that XF wouldn't allow a certain subset of characters but I could never get out of him exactly which characters caused issues, because that would be easy to change.

So:

no comma
    can't look like an e-mail address, i.e. thisguy@twothumbs.com

everything else works?

6. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

In general, that's correct.