1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not Planned Allow us to just reference proxy images on data/ instead of proxy.php

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Rigel Kentaurus, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Rigel Kentaurus

Rigel Kentaurus Well-Known Member

The proxy features seems definitely useful.

I am however a little nervous of having it as a script, because then it is difficult to localize it behind a CDN.

I have done a lot of work to send scripts, css resources, and every single image to the CDN, so I can offload that to an image server that is better suited to handle this kind of requests. But enter the proxy, and if I want to use that functionality then I have to go now through the php script with the necessary overhead.

The image is already downloaded and validated as an image, saving it in data/ instead of internal_data/ and rendering the direct url directly seems like ideal. Yes, it means it could be hotlinked, but I can protect myself through .htaccess if I wanted to

Scalability wise, if I can avoid hitting my fleet of php-fpm, it saves me one thread of those, if I can avoid loading the permission system, that is another gain, and if I can offload to CDN/images server, even better.

Claudio likes this.
  2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

In general, what you're wanting isn't what the system is designed for. It's generally designed for temporary re-hosting/caching. Images can be removed at any time and refreshed if needed.

If you want a system that rewrites the actual URLs in the posts with permanent storage, that's actually a very different feature.

Claudio likes this.
  3. Rigel Kentaurus

Rigel Kentaurus Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply, Mike

For me, It's really valuable to get a reply with "No", because it gives me Green Flag to implement it myself without any concerns of functionality colliding with a future update. And I appreciate the time that you guys take reading our suggestions.

FredC likes this.