Allow URLs to be modified, being able to remove forums, threads, etc.

Walter

The current URL structure is:

thread: /community/threads/guide-to-suggestions.2285/
page: /community/pages/example-page/

The URL is quite long. Would it be possible to shorten them?

Alternative 1, remove only "threads":
thread: /community/guide-to-suggestions.2285/
page: /community/pages/example-page/

Alternative 2, remove "threads" and "pages":
thread: /community/guide-to-suggestions.2285/
page: /community/example-page/ (or page: /community/example-page.nnn/)

Of course it would be better if the pages didn't have a number, you could code it this way: URLs with a number are thread, URLs without a number are treated as pages?

If you want this suggestion, don't forget to give my post a "like"

Upvote 3
The prefixes (threads, pages) are there to remove ambiguity. Otherwise, it's not possible to resolve a URL definitively. The public side currently has 30 different prefixes, and the admin side is pushing 50.

The prefixes (threads, pages) are there to remove ambiguity. Otherwise, it's not possible to resolve a URL definitively. The public side currently has 30 different prefixes, and the admin side is pushing 50.
The question is, are we able to remove the threads and pages prefix?

The question is, are we able to remove the threads and pages prefix?
If you remove the prefix, how would you know if the ID refers to a thread or a page (or one of dozens of other things)?

It would be nice if the prefixes (threads, pages, posts, members, etc) were customisable, for if we wanted to have them in another language, or if we wanted to shorten them to single-letter equivalents or something.

I asked a little bit about this here http://xenforo.com/community/threads/remove-forums-from-url-of-forums.5433/ but didn't get a reply yet so I'm not sure if it's possible with an easy tweak or requires a larger new feature.

I'm used to using vbseo with vbulletin where I can customize the url structure. I don't need something that elaborate, but I'd like to see a basic ability to customize the form of the SEO URLs.

First for example, my domain name ends in forums.com so it looks odd to me to have each forum as myforums.com/forums/suggestions for example -- I would love to be able to have simply myforums.com/suggestions (I don't mind entering each forum name in the current option blank (and have already done this so it doesn't have the number) which means it's mapped already I believe, so can the /forums/ be eliminated for each forum name to make it one level less deep?

Second, currently the structure for threads is myforums.com/threads/threadname - here my personal preference is to have myforums.com/the-forum-it's-in/threadname - in my case I have a number of manufacturer forums so it's handy to know from the URL at a glance which manufacturer is being discussed, and good for seo too.

I've mentioned this before on other threads related to this subject, but it's to do with the content type.

So /forums for forums, obviously, /threads for threads, /members for members, etc.

xenforo.com/community/forums/general-support-and-questions.25/

I have the xenforo files in the site.com/forum folder and having site.com/forum/forums/name-of-forum.2 looks pretty stupid.

Thanks

A simple mod_rewrite should do the trick...shouldn't it?

Although you could theoretically do a rewrite relying on the fact that your forum URLs have the ID at the end, you'd have to hack the route system a fair bit. Honestly you'd be better off either leaving it or changing the 'forums' route to something else (which is still easier said than done).

Top Bottom