Allow URLs to be modified, being able to remove forums, threads, etc.

Walter

The current URL structure is:

thread: /community/threads/guide-to-suggestions.2285/
page: /community/pages/example-page/

The URL is quite long. Would it be possible to shorten them?

Alternative 1, remove only "threads":
thread: /community/guide-to-suggestions.2285/
page: /community/pages/example-page/

Alternative 2, remove "threads" and "pages":
thread: /community/guide-to-suggestions.2285/
page: /community/example-page/ (or page: /community/example-page.nnn/)

Of course it would be better if the pages didn't have a number, you could code it this way: URLs with a number are thread, URLs without a number are treated as pages?

If you want this suggestion, don't forget to give my post a "like"

Upvote 3
Or change the name of your installation directory?

But if the word forum or forums are already in your domain that means you would have to change your domain name?

Would be nice to see a solution for this.
smile.png

example: mydomainforum.com/forum

Right now, Full Friendly URLs creates a nesting issue which makes them annoyingly unfriendly. If your forum is in http://SiteName.com/forum/ then every single forum and sub-forum within your xenforo will be displayed as:

SiteName.com/forum/forums/node.#/

That looks REALLY bad and it's redundant. Full Friendly URLs shouldn't need to prequalify these as forums and instead should just use the forum name. There are other issues as well and Full Friendly URLs clearly needs a few customization options.

This is incredibly painful because eventually I'll want this structure changed/fixed at which point all my URLs will be different. Even with 301 redirects all of the old content will be devalued by Google which serves as an immediate blow to the site.

Moved from bug reports to suggestions, although I believe this has been suggested several times already.

XenForo also has nodes for Pages, and with addons Portal and Blog, etc.

I would rather have:

/forum/
/threads/
/blog/

(as it currently is...)

than

/forum/forum/
/forum/threads/
/forum/blog/

I had this same thought. Two conditions I think makes it ugly:
1.) if you have your forum homepage in a /forum/ or /forums/ subdirectory. It looks ugly to have yourdomain.com/forum/forum/the-forum-name
2.) if your domain happens to include forum or forums. I think it looks ugly to have yourforum.com/forum/the-forum-name
I don't like the duplication in these circumstances.

Any luck with this, Brett? I wonder if a simple find-and-replace across XenForo's source code and templates would do the job...

It depends on the folder you install xenforo to.

If you install it in public_html/ its not an issue, nor is it (much) of an issue on this site where its installed in the public_html/community/ folder. Where it becomes a problems is for those of us who wanted to install xenforo in the public_html/forum or /forums folder. That's when you get something like site.com/forum/forums/name-of-forum.2 - get it?

http://xenforo.com/community/forums/off-topic.7/

Make sense?

Any luck with this, Brett? I wonder if a simple find-and-replace across XenForo's source code and templates would do the job...

I am yet to have a play around, from memory it looks like someone has already achieved the desired result using the find and replace method but I am having a bit of a hard time finding the thread which was not overly informative but at least it is a start.

That's a bad solution.

This may be possible with an addon but I haven't tried it. All calls to the link builder would need to check for and change the "forums" route (change the handler instead of changing all references). Then you need to define a handler for the new route that aliases the old "forums" route. Finally, you need to setup a redirect for old "forums" links that may still exist. I may try to create this addon since it's a popular request.

Top Bottom