• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Allow moderators to ban users

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed... if this could use the XF ability that is given to admins in the backend, ie. the ability to use time limited... that would be awesome. Basically, bring the XF backend functionality for banning to the frontend, and allow it to be shared across usergroups.

Shared across usergroups is possible, right ? Just give the permission to more than one usergroup ...

I started simple, and I am still willing to add more features. The permanente ban sounds like something needed. I think I will add an option to control that, though, so not everyone can give a permanente ban but the usergroups one specify.

I am also working in an option to lift the ban.

And.. does it annoy anyone that the moderator can ban himself? (not that it already happened)

Mods can already permanent ban, its everything under that they cannot do... by using the spam function, they can ban permanently without touching the users content, etc...

What they can't do, is only what an admin can currently do via the ACP, being time limited which gives options from XF by default, ie. 1 day, 2 days, 1 week, 1 month, etc... these already exist in XF, but only to admins, as there is no mod control panel. That function, IMHO, needs to come to the frontend for both admins and mods.

I needed a way for my moderators to ban users, or rather, give them a "timeout". I implemented this so my moderators can quickly do a 24h ban to a user.
i think the greatest would be if the moderator could move people into a pre-defined usergroup.
i like using a usergroup that allows one to browse the board, yet not post/reply for example.

Moderators can't currently ban or edit members in XF? Strange. That feature is essential for most forums, should have been in 1.0.0.

Are both true yes? (I am not currently using XF on a production board). If so, then I hope it get's added soon indeed, since my Moderators do both on our current vB 3.8 platform.

Moderators can't currently ban or edit members in XF? Strange. That feature is essential for most forums, should have been in 1.0.0.
If you trust your moderators enough to let them ban or edit users, make them administrators and allow them to manage users.

If you just check the "Manage bans" option, the only additional items available are the cache rebuild, server error logs and test facebook integration (a bug related to Q&A CAPTCHA has already been fixed for anyone who tries it).

Checking the "Edit users and moderators" option gives them access to the spam cleaner log and user related options.

If you trust your moderators enough to let them ban or edit users, make them administrators and allow them to manage users.
Sure, if you trust them. And if you do trust them but don't want to run that risk? I want them to be able to ban users, not the access the admincp. Granted, there are some of them I would not care giving access, this is not extensible to all my moderators or the new ones. Also, some of us are more careful than the rest and have their admincp htpasswd protected and nobody should go near that, ever.

What is all this talk about they "only" have access to the Rebuild Cache option? That is not an only, that is a "huge" only. Rebuild search index is there. That is so server intensive that someone can reduce my site to a crawl just by playing with it. Might as well be "only" the option to turn the forum off. Has this even been reported as a bug?

So .. yeah, the current solution from XenForo is not enough not appropriate for my use case.

Banning is definitely more a moderation task than administration task. Very frustrating design decision that I'm glad is being fixed by this mod.

Thanks for that tip. It's not really about trust though, I've just decided not to have other admins and also to keep the ACP well locked and secure for anyone else but me. You never know if their PC is going to get hacked.

And how much more admin functionality do they have access to then?

I ask this question, because my moderators (on vBulletin 3.8) are in full charge of User Management. I certainly do not want them to be able to access anything else inside 'my' Admin Control Panel, as the feedback below also clearly indicate:

Sure, if you trust them. And if you do trust them but don't want to run that risk? I want them to be able to ban users, not the access the admincp. Granted, there are some of them I would not care giving access, this is not extensible to all my moderators or the new ones. Also, some of us are more careful than the rest and have their admincp htpasswd protected and nobody should go near that, ever.

What is all this talk about they "only" have access to the Rebuild Cache option? That is not an only, that is a "huge" only. Rebuild search index is there. That is so server intensive that someone can reduce my site to a crawl just by playing with it. Might as well be "only" the option to turn the forum off. Has this even been reported as a bug?

So .. yeah, the current solution from XenForo is not enough not appropriate for my use case.

Thanks for that tip. It's not really about trust though, I've just decided not to have other admins and also to keep the ACP well locked and secure for anyone else but me. You never know if their PC is going to get hacked.

For a large board, you would not want rebuild search indexes run accidentally as it may cause server load problems.

Even if it wasn't dangerous I would prefer my admins to see only the parts I choose.

I still believe this is definitely a bug. If I only choose "Manage Bans" when adding an admin. I expect it to allow only managing bans. I don't want them to rebuild caches.

So, since my Moderators are in full charge of User Management, I need them to be able to access all functionality they need to be able to perform their tasks. But without giving them access to stuff that they have no business with whatsoever (like cache rebuild, server error logs and test facebook integration...).

Moderators CAN ban members from the frontend, via the "spam" link. You change your spam settings so the link is always visible, not time cutoff, then if any member gets out of line, mods can ban them by clicking spam, ticking only the ban member link, hit ok. All their content remains, they are just banned, nothing else. They can then push that to an admin for unbanning if required.

What is needed, is when you use that spam option, is that the built-in timed periods that are available to the admin in the ACP when banning, need to be bought into that spam option for banning. The functionality it seems already exists in XF, it just needs to be brought into the frontend spam feature by a developer.

If you have to give your mods admin access, then what is the point of having mods in the first place?

The ACP ban option has the time allocation via a dropdown calendar. Bring that into the spam popup when clicking the ban option, so it appears, problem solved all round.

banned.webp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom