Allow Admin To Set Resource Discussion To A Forum

digitalpoint

Was thinking it would be very useful if you could have the discussion tab of a resource actually be a forum (set on a per resource basis), rather than a thread for "major" resources (at some point trying to do support in a single thread becomes cumbersome). As an example, we have a Sphinx search system we built that has it's own support forum (which contains 2,405 posts spanning 207 threads). Mashing all those into a single massive support thread wouldn't be that useful.

Upvote 15
Some resources already have a whole forum full of discussion threads related to these. In such case its not useful to only show 1 discussion thread under the 'discussion' tab.
It would be very useful to associate a forum with the discussion tab. This way all threads related to the resource can be shown.

Instead of entering the threadID to connect it to the tab, the forumID should be entered.

This requires a pretty big change.

I think ultimately what will happen is a custom tab manager. Either in the core or as an add on.

I expect it will. But I think its a very necessary change.
For example: Imagine that KAM decide they want to list the Enhanced Search product in the RM. The Enhanced Search product has the following forums:
Discussion: Enhanced Search Support
Suggestions: Enhanced Search Suggestions
Bugs: Enhanced Search Bug Reports

Just like here on XenForo.com there will be many sites with the same needs / situation, where tabs are needed for whole forums. (and also a tracker btw)

Some resources already have a whole forum full of discussion threads related to these. In such case its not useful to only show 1 discussion thread under the 'discussion' tab.
It would be very useful to associate a forum with the discussion tab. This way all threads related to the resource can be shown.

Instead of entering the threadID to connect it to the tab, the forumID should be entered.

great suggestion (y)

Related Suggestion:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/integrate-forums-into-the-resource-manager.46376/

:whistle:

Excellent suggestion!

Has anyone seen a solution for this?

I'd like to change the discussion tab to link to whatever url I choose.

Examples:
  • Link to an external support website (some authors prefer to offer support on their own site)
  • Link to an internal forum I create (some resources will need an organized support area with full forum options)
Work-around:
  • Creating a new tab and adding the links inside the content of the tab
  • Adding the links to the overall description

Can we please have options?
  • Create a thread as now (for those who prefer)
  • Link a tab to whatever url you want it to (for the rest of us who need organization control)

Where/how/when can I find out if this suggestion is taken seriously ?

For your information: I posted a similar suggestion which was marked as duplicate. Here I wrote that:

Actually it has been somewhat achieved with this addon - http://xenforo.com/community/resources/social-groups-by-waindigo.891/
By selecting a Social Category as the location for threads to be created in Resource Manager categories, you can link a whole forum to each of your resources for better discussion.

But actually I am not sure if that is the case.

A few thoughts on a work-around:
  • Using .htaccess you could redirect each thread created to the proper forum. And place all threads created into a private forum. This would be tedious if you have a lot of resources.
  • Change the phrase for the download button to "Discuss Resource" and place the forum url there for the download url.
Anyone else have any ideas?

I'm still trying to come up with a solution that is the least confusing for end-users.

vaultwiki, its really something. Very flexible in this regard. But maybe its just that I want category descriptions to be considered a content type in its own right, and Xenforo-crew doesnt - perhaps ?

• htacess will not be something i am considering ... dont know why actually. Seeems very wrong way around it.

Top Bottom