Fixed  Alerts pop-up doesn't function without JavaScript

Erik

The Alerts pop-up box doesn't function without JavaScript. It simply shows the animated "loading" icon and sits empty. :)

Screenshot:
y2sYd.png

It would be great if you could load, say, the 10 most recent alerts into the DOM on page-load so they can be displayed without JavaScript. Otherwise, just don't show the pop-up at all and have the Alerts navbar item link directly to the Alerts page. :)

confirmed, and also there's a pagination trouble, like you can see in the pic the pop-up goes out of my screen (W7/FF3.6.8)
alerts.webp

Again, not everything has to work ideally with JS. It simply has to be accessible. Since there's a show all link there, there's nothing to fix.

Again, not everything has to work ideally with JS. It simply has to be accessible. Since there's a show all link there, there's nothing to fix.
I disagree. It looks and feels broken. Now maybe you don't think it's worth fixing, but "as designed" seems like the wrong term for this.

Fair point. It's sort of a side effect of having popup menus that actually (generally) work without JS. I suppose we could just plain disable them (the ajax-based ones) without JS.

That said, the goal of non-JS is still to be functional, not perfect. If ways to do something still exist for the non-JS user, that will generally be acceptable.

That said, the goal of non-JS is still to be functional, not perfect. If ways to do something still exist for the non-JS user, that will generally be acceptable.
Totally agree, although IMO the pop-up box is not functional. Who knows how long a user will wait with it open, watching the animated icon and waiting for their alerts to load? As I mentioned before, it appears broken. The functional non-JS replacement would be to not show the pop-up at all and have Alerts link to the Alerts page. :)
Using noscript?
<noscript> tags are usually used to add content for users without JavaScript, and even if there was a way to do it with noscript it is quite probably not valid HTML5 (it's definitely not semantic). :)

Totally agree, although IMO the pop-up box is not functional. Who knows how long a user will wait with it open, watching the animated icon and waiting for their alerts to load? As I mentioned before, it appears broken. The functional non-JS replacement would be to not show the pop-up at all and have Alerts link to the Alerts page. :)

<noscript> tags are usually used to add content for users without JavaScript, and even if there was a way to do it with noscript it is quite probably not valid HTML5 (it's definitely not semantic). :)

I've never used noscript before :/

Top Bottom