Fixed  Alerts pop-up doesn't function without JavaScript

Erik

The Alerts pop-up box doesn't function without JavaScript. It simply shows the animated "loading" icon and sits empty. :)

Screenshot:

It would be great if you could load, say, the 10 most recent alerts into the DOM on page-load so they can be displayed without JavaScript. Otherwise, just don't show the pop-up at all and have the Alerts navbar item link directly to the Alerts page. :)

KURTZ

confirmed, and also there's a pagination trouble, like you can see in the pic the pop-up goes out of my screen (W7/FF3.6.8)
alerts.jpg

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
Again, not everything has to work ideally with JS. It simply has to be accessible. Since there's a show all link there, there's nothing to fix.

Onimua

It couldn't be made a little more elegant? Or at least just go to the Alerts page like suggested above?

Erik

Again, not everything has to work ideally with JS. It simply has to be accessible. Since there's a show all link there, there's nothing to fix.
I disagree. It looks and feels broken. Now maybe you don't think it's worth fixing, but "as designed" seems like the wrong term for this.

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
Fair point. It's sort of a side effect of having popup menus that actually (generally) work without JS. I suppose we could just plain disable them (the ajax-based ones) without JS.

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
That said, the goal of non-JS is still to be functional, not perfect. If ways to do something still exist for the non-JS user, that will generally be acceptable.

Erik

That said, the goal of non-JS is still to be functional, not perfect. If ways to do something still exist for the non-JS user, that will generally be acceptable.
Totally agree, although IMO the pop-up box is not functional. Who knows how long a user will wait with it open, watching the animated icon and waiting for their alerts to load? As I mentioned before, it appears broken. The functional non-JS replacement would be to not show the pop-up at all and have Alerts link to the Alerts page. :)
Using noscript?
<noscript> tags are usually used to add content for users without JavaScript, and even if there was a way to do it with noscript it is quite probably not valid HTML5 (it's definitely not semantic). :)

Shamil

Totally agree, although IMO the pop-up box is not functional. Who knows how long a user will wait with it open, watching the animated icon and waiting for their alerts to load? As I mentioned before, it appears broken. The functional non-JS replacement would be to not show the pop-up at all and have Alerts link to the Alerts page. :)

<noscript> tags are usually used to add content for users without JavaScript, and even if there was a way to do it with noscript it is quite probably not valid HTML5 (it's definitely not semantic). :)
I've never used noscript before :/