Not planned Alerts for 'posts by followed members'

Alpha1

I just discovered the newsfeed today. Im pretty sure that if I didn't hit on it since joining, that many average forum members would never discover it. I find this inconsistent, because watching a thread does cause alerts, while watching a member does not.

I'd like to request the option to receive Alerts for 'posts by followed members'.
Because it makes no sense to alert for every post a followed member makes, an alert per followed member would suffice and such alert could notify that:

Member A has made 3 new posts.

Clicking it would lead to the new posts of that member.

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
If a member goes to their profile page at all, they'll find the newsfeed right there. You can't miss it.

I believe the news feed would be the best way to get that information. I have my alerts set up as follows because for me it is the most manageable:
  1. Regular forum use: Watched Threads/Whats New
  2. Checking up on what people of interest did: Your News feed
  3. Everything else of interest (likes, PCs, Trophies, etc) that does not happen as often: Alerts

If a member goes to their profile page at all, they'll find the newsfeed right there. You can't miss it.
I dont have a news feed on my profile, except my own postings. I can find the newsfeed in: Your Account > Your Newsfeed. But that overview of new postings is tucked away and not part of the main browsing experience. I think its a great feature, but if its tucked away then it would not be used as often as when new posts are brought to your attention, like quoted posts are.

I just discovered the newsfeed today. Im pretty sure that if I didn't hit on it since joining, that many average forum members would never discover it. I find this inconsistent, because watching a thread does cause alerts, while watching a member does not.

I'd like to request the option to receive Alerts for 'posts by followed members'.
Because it makes no sense to alert for every post a followed member makes, an alert per followed member would suffice and such alert could notify that:

Member A has made 3 new posts.

Clicking it would lead to the new posts of that member.

agree with you, so otherwise there is no point of "Following" someone ?
why "Follow" somebody when you actually do not receive any updates from that person you are following ?

Alfa, on your profile page, up in the blue bar, you'll see Everyone's News Feed. Is that what you're looking for?

Alerts relate to events that concern you directly, for example:
  • user quoted YOUR post
  • YOU received a trophy
  • user is following YOU
Events that do not directly involve you go to the news feed, which has a completely different architecture. It's simply not feasible to push those kind of events to the alerts system.

Not if you don't want your server to melt anyway.

well, you would not follow so many members that the server would melt away, do you ?
But people you are in fact following, you are concerned about those people directly (e.g. think about a matchmaking website, you would like to get an alert on people you are following because you are most interested in those people rather than any other people having quoted your post).

Anyway, if this is the only way to do it, then fine.
Maybe place the Links to those NewsFeeds of people you are following in a more prominent position at the website ?

Thank you !

well, you would not follow so many members that the server would melt away, do you ?
But people you are in fact following, you are concerned about those people directly.

Anyway, if this is the only way to do it, then fine.
Maybe place the Links to those NewsFeeds of people you are following in a more prominent position at the website ?

Thank you !

Maybe, but the system would be managing alerts for a lot of people at once, and that would certainly drive the server crazy.

Maybe, but the system would be managing alerts for a lot of people at once, and that would certainly drive the server crazy.

well, I do receive many Alerts now, saying "some user replied to a certain thread", although I am NOT having this Thread as being a "Watched Thread". This seems to be a bug.

So this feature/bug should get removed and will also get server-load down.

I ONLY want to receive ALERTS on threads I am in fact "watching" and people I am in fact "following". This is what makes the most sense for my logic.

Why do I need to receive alerts on threads I am not even "watching" ? Just because I am participating in this thread ? This is annoying.

KISS: Keep It Simple & Sexy.

Let´s say you want to follow a specific-person, so you click on "Follow".
The same could go for "Receive Alerts" for Actions performed by that specific person.

Why not have an option to decide whether you want to receive Alerts on a specific persons updates ?

I ONLY want to receive ALERTS on threads I am in fact "watching" and people I am in fact "following". This is what makes the most sense for my logic.
Even Facebook with their effectively limitless resources do not push alerts/notifications to you for the activity of people you follow/your friends - this is purpose of 'your' news feed, which shows only the activity of people you follow.

Top Bottom