Lack of interest Alerts as a side bar

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Reeve of Shinra

So I'm cruising around xenforo.com, reading new posts and -- oh cool an alert, hmm what is it for? *click* oh, its a reply to a post. Let me check it out.

Awesome stuff. Very interactive and engaging ... but as I've done this over the last hour it seems ... repetitive?

I'm wondering ... would an alert side bar be more interactive to work?

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
You want to immediately see what the alert is about in a sidebar if I understand correctly? I guess an add-on is the best solution here, since not everyone wants to have a sidebar on all pages showing alerts.

The problem with the sidebar approach is that people tend to ignore it once they get used to it. On the other hand there's a weird excitement when people see that they have an alert, similar to when people see they have a notification on Facebook.

Of course an add-on certainly would be a good approach as I'm sure for some forums and some users they may prefer to see it as a sidebar.

The problem with the sidebar approach is that people tend to ignore it once they get used to it. On the other hand there's a weird excitement when people see that they have an alert, similar to when people see they have a notification on Facebook.

Of course an add-on certainly would be a good approach as I'm sure for some forums and some users they may prefer to see it as a sidebar.
I agree with this. I merely glance at the sidebar as it is, but most of the time I ignore it. It also should be mentioned the sidebar isn't used on the most-visited pages (threads and forums), so you'd have to require the sidebar to be on every page. Remember that alerts are also marked "read" whenever they're viewed, so if it loads on the sidebar and is marked red by I didn't actually acknowledge it, I end up missing it entirely.

The red alert box is more than enough to catch my attention and it's always there wherever I go.

Awesome stuff. Very interactive and engaging ... but as I've done this over the last hour it seems ... repetitive?
Interesting thought.

It's pretty popular the way it is.
Implementation is everything and the Alert's implementation shows why Xenforo is the bestest.

Do you like the Expanded Alert idea here ?
xenforo.inline.alerts.expanded.alerts.webp

Top Bottom