XF 1.0 Alert Preferences

You asked for them, so here they are.

Alert Prefs.webp

I would like to buy a beer for the genius who suggested this...I will grab a beer for myself after work ;)

The live testing and implementation thing, or alert preferences?

Opening our site early to solicit feedback was part of our development plan from the very start - I know of no better way than to QA software than to let your customer and potential customers loose on it before it goes on sale.

As for alert preferences - they were always on the cards, but got pushed down the priority list for a while. However, my being deluged by alerts served to push them back up the priority list in a hurry ;)

Great work guys!

Now hurry up and release it, we're all itching to get our hands on it :D

Heh, just noticed I've set mine the same as Kier in his screenshot.

The live testing and implementation thing, or alert preferences?

Opening our site early to solicit feedback was part of our development plan from the very start - I know of no better way than to QA software than to let your customer and potential customers loose on it before it goes on sale.

As for alert preferences - they were always on the cards, but got pushed down the priority list for a while. However, my being deluged by alerts served to push them back up the priority list in a hurry ;)
Alert preferences. I'm just patting myself on the back, Kier, (and giving myself an excuse to drink a beer), I have no doubt that you had this on the cards already :p

It was you , you bl** b** ;). But, thank you!
lol indeed :D

THANKS!!! :D

And a lot of choices to choose from, :)

Very nice, guys!!!

The way I see it, the top 2 options being displayed might be suitable for forums with really long threads, possibly 10-50K posts long, where people might want to be alerted to when they are quoted, whether they have been reading threads they have posted in or not.

Or if the alert for quoted posts was off, that might be suitable for more normal forums where people are reading the threads they have posted in, because they would see when they were quoted.

Sound right?

Sounds right. I think the choices for which alerts members want to be alerted for will depend on the size of the forum base. Users on small forums will probably have everything set to on, and as the forum posts and membership grows, a few options will be turned off.

A very nice feature, and well implemented, :)

I suppose there could be a case for splitting out the "Replies to a watched thread" into "Replies to a watched thread", "Replies to a thread you've posted on" and "Replies to a thread you created".

But that's probably overkill.

Personally I don't see me ever using the "Replies to a watched thread" as "Watched Threads" covers that for me well enough.

I suppose there could be a case for splitting out the "Replies to a watched thread" into "Replies to a watched thread", "Replies to a thread you've posted on" and "Replies to a thread you created".

Personally I don't see me ever using the "Replies to a watched thread" as "Watched Threads" covers that for me well enough.

I actually think I like that idea...

Thank you very much for that quick reply. :)

And what they did was my ideal/perfect solution :cool:

Sounds right. I think the choices for which alerts members want to be alerted for will depend on the size of the forum base. Users on small forums will probably have everything set to on, and as the forum posts and membership grows, a few options will be turned off.

A very nice feature, and well implemented, :)

On most forums I visit, where vb is used, most people seem to check New Posts, and UserCP (Watched Threads). So having the top 2 options off would not give additional alerts when people navigate that way. Perfect!

In addition, looking ahead, that would solve the issue of how to be alerted when new blogs, blog comments, articles, or any other content was added (details obviously to be determined), without relying on people noticing an updated list of blogs (widgets?) or using an rss feed to create forum posts. I think.

:confused:

I see no reason for that, at all. If you are watching a thread you are interested in it. If you made a post in a thread you are not interested in (not watching) then why would you want to be notified? :confused:

I see no reason for that, at all. If you are watching a thread you are interested in it. If you made a post in a thread you are not interested in (not watching) then why would you want to be notified? :confused:

Because if you're not watching a thread you posted in, you probably don't care about the thread in general. But somebody replying to your post, however, is something that you'd want to be aware of and receive an alert for.

Because if you're not watching a thread you posted in, you probably don't care about the thread in general. But somebody replying to your post, however, is something that you'd want to be aware of and receive an alert for.

And you would be alerted, if the alert for quoted posts was on, unless someone made an implied response by not quoting it, and I think that would be a bit esoteric for the majority of forum users.

And you would be alerted, if the alert for quoted posts was on, unless someone made an implied response by not quoting it, and I think that would be a bit esoteric for the majority of forum users.

I guess that makes sense. But "Replies to a thread you created" is a valid suggestion. Personally, I use "Watched Threads" to keep up with replies to threads (I just disabled the alerts for replies), but I wouldn't mind having an alert for replies to threads I created, so that they get top priority.

Well I can see instances where all cases could be useful.

I watch a lot of threads, including some I have never posted on.
The ones I have posted on I am more interested in though so would probably enable alerts for those.

Similarly, some people might only be interested in getting alerts for threads they created.

Top Bottom