• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Alert Issue

Sheldon

Well-known member
#1
I am on 1.0.2

My users are going in, and turning off alerts, by either unchecking or checking what box they want, then they hit save. They are still getting emails sent to them, even when they choose not to, and also when the go back in, all alerts are turned back on again.

Is there something I am doing wrong? Also, I searched, but kept coming to the same search results on this, it never answered my question. Apologies in advance if it has been answered already.
 

Sheldon

Well-known member
#2
I have now upgraded to 1.0.4

I am not sure if the changes save, as every time I go back in, all of my alert preferences are checked again, regardless of what I uncheck.
 

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
#3
Alert preferences are saved in the database, so this would suggest the tables aren't being updated.

As a first step, confirm all files are OK by running ACP -> Tools -> File Health Check
That will at least rule out any problems with corrupt files from the FTP process.

Next, check the server error logs to see if anything is being written there.

Do you have a test login so I can check/confirm the behaviour?
 

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
#4
The emails would be coming from watched threads - alerts are somewhat separate from that, and the settings are only the defaults for the future (so it doesn't change existing settings).

Your users can stop watching threads or turn off email via Watched Threads > Show all watched threads.

(Though if alert preferences aren't saving, that's a different issue.)
 

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
#5
I just logged in using the details provided in a conversation, and I have confirmed that alert preferences are not being saved in account settings.

However, you have quite a few add-ons installed and what appear to be some custom mods, all of which have alert preferences.

You need to disable each one in turn and check whether alert settings save until you identify the add-on which is causing the problem.
 

Luke B

Active member
#6
I just logged in using the details provided in a conversation, and I have confirmed that alert preferences are not being saved in account settings.

However, you have quite a few add-ons installed and what appear to be some custom mods, all of which have alert preferences.

You need to disable each one in turn and check whether alert settings save until you identify the add-on which is causing the problem.
I just realized I'm no longer receiving alerts or emails when a user replies to a thread I'm participating in. All other notifications seem to be working just fine though. Could I be having a similar issue?
 

Onimua

Well-known member
#9
I've noticed the alert issue as well. So far I think it happens when you have custom alerts for an add-on, or at least that's the only time I think it occurs. Even though you integrate it the way it should, and it works, for some reason it doesn't seem to get updated on the front-end properly on page refreshes.

I haven't tried to dig deeply when it came up, but I probably should go back and take a look again.
 

Sheldon

Well-known member
#11
I disabled all add-ons that had custom alerts, and tested it... Every time I would uncheck what I wanted, and go back in, they were all checked again.
 

Bob

Well-known member
#12
I've noticed the alert issue as well. So far I think it happens when you have custom alerts for an add-on, or at least that's the only time I think it occurs. Even though you integrate it the way it should, and it works, for some reason it doesn't seem to get updated on the front-end properly on page refreshes.

I haven't tried to dig deeply when it came up, but I probably should go back and take a look again.
Im having this same exact issue. When you uncheck the particular alert, it writes it to the xf_user_alert_optout table (as it should) AND it does stop the alerts (as it should). However, when that user goes back into the Alert preferences again, all the options are checked even tho there are records in the optout table for that user.

EDIT: ok, after a bit of troubleshooting (And Thinking lol), I solved this issue (at least the one that I was having and the one for LNBLog).