Alcohol

Haven't smoke or drank anything that contains alcohol which I don't regret. Hannover has a high alcohol consumtion rate though, read it in the newspaper once. There are ad campains running though the city suggesting to stop drinking or to know your limit.

Here is Wisconsin we have no problem consuming alcohol...heck our former attorney general got a DUI while driving a state vehicle and today a former Senator got a DUI, we were also voted the drunkest state in the U.S.
Personally I prefer something a little more "kind"..;)

Cheese and wine...I can see that making sense :)

We can call you wiskies the lushest in the country if it makes you feel better ...but tbh I did not know you were the biggest drinkers..i have heard other biggest stories though...don't know if those are true either:)

In general, I don't care about the numbers or long term health concerns. I think of life like this now a days...if life is a pretty diamond ring that is soo precious and special that you have to keep it in a box....it will never reflect light with the brilliance that makes them so desirable in the first place and therefor has no point...you have to enjoy life or it has no point.

That said I choose not to drink because I realize that I am a very angry drunk with heavy hands (don't forget the inherent loss of judgement)...for the better of both myself and the people around me and their immediate health it is wise for me to choose not consume. Then there is the problem of getting from place to place...alcohol is like an anchor...dead weight. I also happen to be in physical pain 24 lovely hours a day and alcohol seems to exacerbate that condition.

Me drink...yeah that's what the world needs...another pissed off drunk with "a reason". But as I said in my first paragraph...you need to enjoy life or there is no point...but if you can consume alcohol and still not interfere with other people trying to live their lives...go RTF ahead and live it up.

As far as the numbers are concerned you have to consider that there is a lot of other substances that are used socially that can take away from people who are drinking because most smart people don't mix recreational substances. Where you are, there may just be less diversity of substances which would leave higher numbers of people to drink...then there is the locale's social stigma against using any particular substance and we all know peer-pressure is a mofo.

I say pick your poison...and ftr the workers who helped built the pyramids in Egypt, were plied with fish , wine and beer...and contrary to popular belief, they were not slaves but high valued people doing the most sought after labor job at the time. Short of being royalty or a priest, it was one of the most honored and respected jobs...and they were some of the only non royal class of citizens that were able to build tombs for each other when they died to be shown eternal honor. From ancient writings we have found from the common folk of ancient Egypt...the prime two sources of entertainment in those times (for free citizens) was having nightly "flings" and getting drunk off of wine and beer.

Somethings never change.

Everything in moderation...

Me drink...yeah that's what the world needs...another pissed off drunk with "a reason". But as I said in my first paragraph...you need to enjoy life or there is no point...but if you can consume alcohol and still not interfere with other people trying to live their lives...go RTF ahead and live it up.
This is a good paragraph - very good encouragement. However, it's this one that I disagree with...
As far as the numbers are concerned you have to consider that there is a lot of other substances that are used socially that can take away from people who are drinking because most smart people don't mix recreational substances. Where you are, there may just be less diversity of substances which would leave higher numbers of people to drink...then there is the locale's social stigma against using any particular substance and we all know peer-pressure is a mofo.
I'm smart. And I have mixed substances with alcohol. Not at the same time, but yeah. Its the same thing as mixing a beer and a rum in the same round of social drinking.
I say pick your poison..
I say the same, but some people don't get this reference, at all.
Everything in moderation...
Amen.

I have mixed substances with alcohol.

Not at the same time, but yeah.

Its the same thing as mixing a beer and a rum in the same round of social drinking.
Carlos you have confused me here...how do you mix but not at the same time? Isn't that part of mixing...incorporating two things? You going to have to explain that.

Beer and rum are both alcohol...they overload your liver and 10 to 1 they are essentially variations of the same thing....thy have the same active components. Most other substances (usually synthetic) are also processed by your liver...that is where the problem is. Almost every system in your body relies on your liver, if it fails you die.

Since your liver has hundreds of functions one including processing alcohol, and another filtering out generally all toxic chemicals and turning them into something non-toxic (by nature, the reason you get drunk is you are poisoned, you remain intoxicated with your levels decreasing systematically at a rate equal to how fast your body can process the poison out. )

Say you take a bunch of percocet or whatever...and you are already drunk... well now you have a backed-up liver (remember that is why you are still drunk...your liver still has work to do...) that can't process other toxins you introduce to the system. Repeating this WILL for sure destroy your body but you are going to suffer painfully for a while when it does start happening.

There is also the chance of overdosing on other substance when your drinking. If you let's say take said pain meds on a regimen that has increased over time due to resistance because of long term use and then decide to go get plastered ...you may not realize that taking a high dose of the meds is potentially deadly because you keep taking more based on your regimen that you are accustomed too with out factoring in that because you are drunk you liver is backed up and you still have tons of meds left in yah.

In general...alcohol should not be used with any other drug or recreational substance. I know a lot of people...well I had known a lot of people...I will leave it there.

Mixing drink and drugs is fine. Everything in moderation, you can balance the effects of one drug with the other. I've mixed lots of different things, E, speed, trips, mushrooms methadrone, weed, drink, K, coke, herbal highs and prescription drugs. The only thing I wouldn't mix are downers like valium tbh

Anything trippy with an upper is good and then you sip on alcohol to keep yourself just the right side of the edge.

here is the downside of the other drugs....

E = if you get molly you only have to worry about the massive holes degraded in your brain, and the effed up levels of 5-hydroxytryptamine which when you are done rolling can cause massive depression issues. If you are like most people who get that particular club drug you are getting a pressed pill with massive amounts of random powdered cutter mixed in and a pretty little stamp onit. In that case you have no clue what all the compounds contained in your beans are. Also the damage cause by high internal body temperatures due to this drug is another factor to consider. I know 4 people who have died because of this drug

speed (Amphetamines) = mixing with alcohol can cause a fit of psychosis and with impaired judgement that can lead to a fatal decision. Also alcohol thins your blood and speeding your heart up with very thinned out blood running through it can cause failure. I know 1 person who has died from this combo.

trips (LSD or acid) = I don't even have to go there...if you think you can make a safe judgement with a pink elephant running across the street...you're probably trippin my dude. I do not know anyone that died because of lcd directly. I do know someone who was taking acid, got depressed and thought it would be a good idea to jump off the top level of a parking garage though.

Mushrooms = I do not advocate them but...they do no physical harm to your body...they can cause you to make bad decisions though. Also if you cant tell the difference between a portabella and a azurescens you might just be going on your last trip. Most people who take drugs aren't trying to learn how to tell the difference between edible and poisonous fungi.

I don't know if you meant mephedrone or methadone either way...one is like a synthetic cocain and the other is basically synthetic heroin....no thank you.

K = this is where the phrase ..."it's so strong it could take down a horse" literally.

Cocaine = a hole in your brain and nostril cavity that while you are using you wont even feel. I know many people who have ruined their lives and two that died because of it one because he found his son's stash of it and decided to bump it up instead of flushing it...thing is he didn't know it was pure heroin and he OD'd.

Prescription Drugs = to many unknowns to think that mixing man-made lab-created compounds with alcohol is safe.

Like I inferred, I am not against using drugs...nor do I advocate it. I smoke cannabis by preference and use it in place of the permanent prescription of pain killers I could be receiving for the rest of my life. I have seen pharmies ruin many peoples lives in many different ways... like I said too many unknowns. My general rule is if it comes from a seed and it isn't poisonous it is safe to use but even that doesn't apply to everything.

Mixing many compounds that you can not understand the metabolic reactions of yourself is not moderation an IS very dangerous and there is no way without lab conditions and experiments you could ever dose properly. I have seen too many people die to be able to even consider an alternative.

It is like playing Russian roulette with 5 in the cylinder...

In comparison to mixing the above drugs with drinking...consuming alcohol alone is = to getting shot with a blast of Co2 from an unloaded air pistol at 30 ft.

Well it's certainly been the experience of many of my friends and family, similar stories from all of them, about how they have felt judged for drinking a fair bit. Mostly in California though. NYC doesn't seem to care if you drink yourself into oblivion, same with places like New Orleans, but the feedback I have had is overwhelmingly that people drink wayyy less and are shocked by how much others can consume.

Glad to hear you are keeping the faith though jmurrayhead :D hehehe
See, I find that very hard to believe about California. I've been to San Francisco, Nappa Valley and Santa Cruz. Never had that problem. It's wine country, after all. New Orleans definitely doesn't care. When I was of a younger age, 5 other friends and I went there for a week for Mardi Gras. It was pretty much nonstop drinking for a week straight. If your friends and family want to go somewhere to drink, come to DC. We've been labeled the drunkest city in the country. And we happen to have a fine selection of adult beverages :)

Anyway, this is another reason why we shouldn't generalize a whole country based off a few observations of a small proportion. There's approximately 307,006,550 people in the US, with a wide range of different cultures.

See, I find that very hard to believe about California. <snip> Anyway, this is another reason why we shouldn't generalize a whole country based off a few observations of a small proportion. There's approximately 307,006,550 people in the US, with a wide range of different cultures.

goodness... no need to be so defensive my sweets.. I am sure you're every bit as lush as we are :p

No one was judging, merely passing on the observations of several of my Aussie friends, who were dining in fine restaurants in the US, their standards might be quite different to yours :)

I have also observed a great many people online who do not drink at all.. who happen to be US citizens, again, not judging, but it is rare in my country to find someone who never drinks here, and one can't help but form an opinion that perhaps drinking is a less fashionable pass-time in the great US of A.. if I have that wrong, my sincere appologies to all you US drunks who are offended by such a comment :p

ps.. I love youse US'ers irrespective of your low levels of drunken debauchery :p

goodness... no need to be so defensive my sweets.. I am sure you're every bit as lush as we are :p

No one was judging, merely passing on the observations of several of my Aussie friends, who were dining in fine restaurants in the US, their standards might be quite different to yours :)

I have also observed a great many people online who do not drink at all.. who happen to be US citizens, again, not judging, but it is rare in my country to find someone who never drinks here, and one can't help but form an opinion that perhaps drinking is a less fashionable pass-time in the great US of A.. if I have that wrong, my sincere appologies to all you US drunks who are offended by such a comment :p

ps.. I love youse US'ers irrespective of your low levels of drunken debauchery :p
It wasn't really meant to be a defensive post, just pointing out that people often make that mistake. And yes, there are boatloads of people here who don't drink. I wasn't refuting that. But the rest of us make up for them ;) No worries, we can be lushes together Kim.
beak.gif

I mean I contribute...I don't drink but I contribute....

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

now sitting transferred to oak and bubblin with heat almost ready to press :-)

It wasn't really meant to be a defensive post, just pointing out that people often make that mistake. And yes, there are boatloads of people here who don't drink. I wasn't refuting that. But the rest of us make up for them ;) No worries, we can be lushes together Kim.
beak.gif

Yay a USA drinking buddy!!!
buddies.gif

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

this thread made me think of this episode ... funny thing is when I was mandated to go to AA by the court... this is exactly what it felt like.

I think much of it is the nature of the restaurant business in the US. Its a rushed affair. You're generally looking at turning over seating three times over a dinner service. They don't want you there long enough to drink a bottle or two, let alone properly metabolize it over time with food to be in a condition to drive.

I can't tell you how many times I've been out and we'll begin with an appetizer and before it even arrives, they're bringing out the salads. Thats when I stop them dead, send it back and tell them I'll ket them know when we're ready for the next course. Nothing is worse than paying top dollar and being rushed tot he point where the dining experience is little more than fast food.

That said, I do my Irish heritage proud. A bottle of Jameson can count itself lucky if it lasts a week and I've found its cheaper to brew my own beer - and better since the alcohol content is much higher.

here is the downside of the other drugs....

E = if you get molly you only have to worry about the massive holes degraded in your brain, and the effed up levels of 5-hydroxytryptamine which when you are done rolling can cause massive depression issues. If you are like most people who get that particular club drug you are getting a pressed pill with massive amounts of random powdered cutter mixed in and a pretty little stamp onit. In that case you have no clue what all the compounds contained in your beans are. Also the damage cause by high internal body temperatures due to this drug is another factor to consider. I know 4 people who have died because of this drug

speed (Amphetamines) = mixing with alcohol can cause a fit of psychosis and with impaired judgement that can lead to a fatal decision. Also alcohol thins your blood and speeding your heart up with very thinned out blood running through it can cause failure. I know 1 person who has died from this combo.

trips (LSD or acid) = I don't even have to go there...if you think you can make a safe judgement with a pink elephant running across the street...you're probably trippin my dude. I do not know anyone that died because of lcd directly. I do know someone who was taking acid, got depressed and thought it would be a good idea to jump off the top level of a parking garage though.

Mushrooms = I do not advocate them but...they do no physical harm to your body...they can cause you to make bad decisions though. Also if you cant tell the difference between a portabella and a azurescens you might just be going on your last trip. Most people who take drugs aren't trying to learn how to tell the difference between edible and poisonous fungi.

I don't know if you meant mephedrone or methadone either way...one is like a synthetic cocain and the other is basically synthetic heroin....no thank you.

K = this is where the phrase ..."it's so strong it could take down a horse" literally.

Cocaine = a hole in your brain and nostril cavity that while you are using you wont even feel. I know many people who have ruined their lives and two that died because of it one because he found his son's stash of it and decided to bump it up instead of flushing it...thing is he didn't know it was pure heroin and he OD'd.

Prescription Drugs = to many unknowns to think that mixing man-made lab-created compounds with alcohol is safe.

Like I inferred, I am not against using drugs...nor do I advocate it. I smoke cannabis by preference and use it in place of the permanent prescription of pain killers I could be receiving for the rest of my life. I have seen pharmies ruin many peoples lives in many different ways... like I said too many unknowns. My general rule is if it comes from a seed and it isn't poisonous it is safe to use but even that doesn't apply to everything.

Mixing many compounds that you can not understand the metabolic reactions of yourself is not moderation an IS very dangerous and there is no way without lab conditions and experiments you could ever dose properly. I have seen too many people die to be able to even consider an alternative.

It is like playing Russian roulette with 5 in the cylinder...

In comparison to mixing the above drugs with drinking...consuming alcohol alone is = to getting shot with a blast of Co2 from an unloaded air pistol at 30 ft.
No offence but all these friends of yours that die from taking drugs, did you ever consider they were a) already had mental health problems or b) overdosed

I've been taking various combinations of drugs for years, I have had no resulting mental health problems and no physical problems. Drugs aren't bad.

If you actually read what I posted out of genuine concern you would understand why:
...all these friends of yours that die from taking drugs, did you ever consider they were a) already had mental health problems or b) overdosed
is a completely invalid notion.

It's called chemistry and each of our systems is coded slightly different therefor process things differently and because of that have different possible effects for everyone using. There is no way to know what every single drug is going to do to you personally nor how they would react to each other.

Let's do a test...take a stool hardener and a stool softener and let em battle it out and see who wins...I bet it won't be you.

If you don't believe LSD can cause psychosis to the point where you do something you can't take back...ask Frank Olsen who happened to be a bio-weapons engineer or go have a read about Pont-Saint-Esprit.

...I'm sure before you go blast a rail you pull out your handy reagent testing kit and I am sure you know how to verify all the compounds in the bag when you go see you local street pharmacist.

No...wouldn't say he was depressed...but I am sure his son who is a little younger than myself is depressed now knowing he killed off than man that gave him life.

You should take into account that depression can be set off by chemical reactions and even if you were depressed before, it still took those compounds in the drugs to cause you to act on some sporadic notion of ending it all.

Now....can we get this back to alcohol...it is not fair to derail this thread..the topic is clearly alcohol...I simply brought it up before to compare that there is plenty of people who choose other options and that's why numbers can be different from region to region.

When I am out, I usually order American Champagne (aka Diet Coke). :p
I bet your a big tipper too ;)

Update: Checked the barrels...tomorrow I go and press em :)

Sometimes you have you have to admire the beauty of the fruits of nature....sometimes you have to live off of the juice.
G.V.
(circa. 1989) dictated to and roughly translated by me.

Top Bottom