Implemented Album / Category / Structure

erich37

Suggestion:

Album / Category / Structure

user needs to be required to create an "Album" in order to upload an image.

Meaning:
- a user is not allowed to put a photo directly into a "Category".
- user needs to create an "Album"
- when a user creates a "New Album", he needs to select a certain "Category" (categories are defined by Admin).
- each user will have an "Album", even if he uploads only 1 photo.

The structure of "XF Media Gallery" would look like this:

Category > User Album > Photos

This structure is not allowed / not possible:
Category > Photos

Advantages:
- This would give a better "structure" to the "XF Media Gallery".
- There will be no "loose" photos, as each photo will be associated with a certain "User Album" and also associated with a certain "Category".

albums_only_required.webp

:)

Last edited:
Upvote 5
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
No thank you.

As someone who actually owns Xfmg and uses the software on my site, I do not want this suggestion imposed on me and my users. I like site categories and use them a lot, more so than albums. Albums are used for a different purpose on my site.

I'd suggest that you think carefully about the suggestions you are making and the implications they have on current owners of the software before posting.

No thank you.

As someone who actually owns Xfmg and uses the software on my site, I do not want this suggestion imposed on me and my users. I like site categories and use them a lot, more so than albums. Albums are used for a different purpose on my site.

I'd suggest that you think carefully about the suggestions you are making and the implications they have on current owners of the software before posting.

It could be implemented as an "Admin option" (optionally set by Admin in ACP).

Redesigned "Add Media" page

The first change is mostly aesthetic in nature in that it serves to slightly simplify the interface when adding media:

- this is better than previously, but I think it would be easier to grasp if "Create a New Album" would be a separate "Bullet Point".
- at the "Bullet Point" named "Choose a Category", there should not be a "Text-Field" where the user enters some text.

It should be just simple "Drop-Down Fields".

Last edited by a moderator:
I on the other hand would really love such an exact implementation. We have a site where mostly moderators are uploading images into categories (because of the missing category --> album possibility), but some users are also allowed to upload.

For example we have categories "events" --> "barbecues" --> "anual end-BBQ" where albums should be created for "end-BBQ 2014", "end-BBQ 2015" and so on.

Having photo's being uploaded into a (parent) category such as "anual end-BBQ" is useless, no one would know what old and current photo's are. So forcing them (of course, as a configurable option) to upload in a new or existing album only would severely add to the structure and overall quality of the site.

This is effectively possible now that we support album categories.

Categories have distinct types; "Media items only", "Albums only" and "Container only".

"Media items only" are basically the same as we had. They are categories that contain the media directl.

"Container only" is like this: https://xenforo.com/community/media/categories/test-media.9/. It shows all media or all albums from all child categories. We already had this functionality, but we've turned it into its own category type now rather than being an implicit behaviour based on removing permissions or some such.

"Albums only" is what would should satisfy your suggestion. If you have no "Media items only" categories, then users will be forced to create an album or add to an existing album within a category.

Top Bottom