Akismet integration is a must

dieg0

I'm running vB 3.6.12 on a big board. Users who don't meet a certain criteria get their posts tested against Akismet. Works like a charm. It catches most (if not all) of the spam on our forums and very few good posts get labeled as spam

Lately I've been testing xF non stop and you need to work on this. We don't care about spam removal tools as much as spam not being posted on our forum in the first place.

reCAPTCHA does nothing for us btw.

Yeah reCAPTCHA isn't as effective as it used to be, have you tried replacing it with nuCaptcha, I've seen it work great, personally for me as a user it's easier to use and it seems like it's much more effective then the other CAPTCHAS at blocking spam, plus as a big site you should be able to sign up to their revenue sharing option if you contact them direct, which has numerous benefits of course.

I thought I'd mention that I'm not affliated with the company, I just really like the ease of use NuCAPTCHA provides.

I'm running vB 3.6.12 on a big board. Users who don't meet a certain criteria get their posts tested against Akismet. Works like a charm. It catches most (if not all) of the spam on our forums and very few good posts get labeled as spam

Lately I've been testing xF non stop and you need to work on this. We don't care about spam removal tools as much as spam not being posted on our forum in the first place.

reCAPTCHA does nothing for us btw.
even better than akismet

0115.webp

On every forum I have ever run... (and I ran a forum that used to get 1.6 million pageviews a day)... I have never, not once, ever had akismet get a genuine positive result. Every thing was false positives. Akisment sucks.

Neither Q/A nor reCAPTCHA work for us. Maybe these guys target us specifically. Don't know.

We do get false positives from Akismet but the thing is that you only check new members posts for spam. No spammers get through to the best of my knowledge.

You are all missing the point of the OP, he is asking that POSTS get validated against Askimet, not user registrations.

Exactly.

Then the answer to your question would be to get a 3rd party mod made for you to handle the functionality you require. I think Kier has stated all main features in XF will be ones required by the masses, and not filled with requests by the few.

nucaptcha is something I agree on however and remember something being posted about it a while back.

Then the answer to your question would be to get a 3rd party mod made for you to handle the functionality you require. I think Kier has stated all main features in XF will be ones required by the masses, and not filled with requests by the few.

Akismet stopped over 55,848,201 spammers today. So I guess it's not just me. Akismet is pretty standard in the Web today.

Akismet stopped over 55,848,201 spammers today. So I guess it's not just me. Akismet is pretty standard in the Web today.

I wouldn't call it standard by any stretch of the imagination. 55 million blocks in a day is... not realy that impressive. That breaks down to what... just under 1000 blocks per second? I can set up a bot like xrumer which can submit content to pre-defined site lists at 10 sites per second without breaking a sweat. Thats only 100 spammers.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but if I were wanting this implemented, I would be looking to get it developed as a 3rd party addon and wouldn't be holding my breath to see it in an official release.

It doesn't necessarily have to be Akismet. I don't really care about the name. The thing is I shouldn't be able to post this:

Hi all,

I have been fighting lately to get info on a much advertised EA I discovered some months ago and kept for myself (got it free as a matter of fact by requesting an evaluation copy) but so far I have only got results from only one of the types of accounts - the standard accounts with Alpari. Still I would like to employ their Pro accounts and it merely refuses to trade there returning the 136 " off quotes" error code...

The results with the standard account are surely nice but the spread there is much larger than with the Pro accounts for the currency pairs recommended (EUR/USD, USD/CHF, EUR/CHF).

Do you have any estimation why the Pro account on no occasion lets the ea open trades and returns the 136 error (off quotes) - this hornet's nest does not occur with the standard account at all! The ea in question is Rate Exchange which you may google for easily - I got it from here the forex

Thanks a lot guys - looking forward for some explanations and possibly test results if you have any!

Got it from my forum moderation queue. I edited this quote to remove the links after being posted.

Akismet saves me a lot of time and catches several spammers that make it past the StopForumSpam database. I'd like to see this too as it should be easy enough to code :)

Top Bottom