XF 2.2 After upgrading to 2.2 smilies are not working

djbaxter

in memoriam 1947-2022
Just upgraded from 2.1.18 or whatever the latest version of 2.1.x was.

I can see at least some of our smilies in the popup box but clicking on them does nothing. They are not being inserted into the message text box.

I don't even see the emojis.

Has something changed? How do I enable/fix this?

The standard trouble shooting steps are:
  1. If possible, revert whatever change you last made prior to the problem starting (obviously not when it comes to upgrades)
  2. Check the server error log - typically add-ons are listed in back traces if they are involved
  3. Run the file health check
  4. Disable all add-ons
  5. Disable ads and notices
  6. Test in a completely default, unedited style
  7. Optionally, do a master data rebuild
If none of that helps then you can post in the forum for community based assistance, or submit a ticket.

The standard trouble shooting steps are:
  1. If possible, revert whatever change you last made prior to the problem starting (obviously not when it comes to upgrades)
  2. Check the server error log - typically add-ons are listed in back traces if they are involved
  3. Run the file health check
  4. Disable all add-ons
  5. Disable ads and notices
  6. Test in a completely default, unedited style
  7. Optionally, do a master data rebuild
If none of that helps then you can post in the forum for community based assistance, or submit a ticket.
I have already done most of those to no avail. The fact that the problem persists in the XF default style is concerning.

Also reuploaded all the XF 2.2 files despite file health check's assurance that all files were present and correct.

How do I "do a master data rebuild"?>

Last edited:
Press F12 to activate the browser inspector and select the Console tab.

Are there any error messages displayed when clicking on a smiley?

I had this and found the culprit was in the page_container not merging update properly.

Was:

Code:
<xf:if is="$loadReactionsTooltip">

In 2.2:

Code:
<xf:if is="count($xf.reactionsActive) > 1 AND $xf.visitor.user_id">
That doesn't apply in my case. PAGE_CONTAINER already has the correct contents.

I reconfigured all the editor toolbars and that did the trick. Now it's working.

Please marked this thread as SOLVED or RESOLVED.

Last edited:
I'm guessing this might've been related to something we spent a while tracking related to a report of the Giphy stuff not working, but the smilie system uses the same fundamental approach. The issue related to the button appearing twice in the editor (potentially once in a dropdown). I believe we have managed to change code to handle this in 2.2.1.

I used that button manager to set up the editor buttons the way I wanted to, mainly dragging and dropping from the available buttons to specific places on the different size toolbars.

I have the same problem. The BB manager did nothing..
I uploaded some smilies myself and now all the ones that were otherwise loaded are no longer there..

Top Bottom