XF 2.1 After migration, I'm trying to set things the way they were

Dimitrios

I have moved from vBulletin 4.2 to Xenforo 2.1.1 and right now I'm trying to set things the way they were, which is not a trivial task. Too many things to take care of.

To start with.
a) I notice user posts await moderation. Even from old members.

I used to have new members in the "Registered" group. There more stricked rules applied. At times, I'd choose to have this group's posts moderated.

Then, after 10 days and 10 posts, they'd change group and become "Group A" members. They'd be allowed to bigger avatars and their posts wouldn't be moderated.

How can I disable posts moderation?

Thanks

Nearly all issues people have with migration from bulletin (as did I) are due to permissions and the fact they work very differently in Xenforo, as they are designed to have registered as the only primary user group, ie very members has that as primary then all other groups are secondary and are set to inherit the primary permissions (=no) for everything apart from any different permissions (which would be either yes to add a permission or never to remove)

This is probably the biggest and most significant learning curve but once you get it, it makes a lot more sense than the other way. It does mean however that after a migration it is often a good idea to start from scratch and rebuild all group permissions.

@ALMUSA it has worked. Thanks!

@Mr Lucky Thanks. Good to know.

When I search for my forum in google the first 2 results I get are:

(myforum)/forum/mobile.php?do=gridmenu
and
(myforum)/forum/forum.php

and when I click on them I get the following error:
Oops! We ran into some problems.
The requested page could not be found.

b)
What is the best way to tell google about all the changes and to run a full scan of my forum?

c) Shouldn't there be a redirection for these pages?

c) Shouldn't there be a redirection for these pages?

I don't know what grid menu is (is that from an add-on?) or is Google maybe still indexed old vBulletin URLs. If so then you can resubmit those via Google Console or resubmit the new xenforo sitemap (in case it is different to what vBulletin had)

It may take some time but won't matter as long as you have redirections for xenforo.

EDIT: You do have redirection from vbulletin URLs in place?

BTW, if this is your forum

I would recommend you turn on friendly URLs in ACP > Setup > Options >Basic Board

When you do this I think you need to use the included xenforo htaccess.txt that comes with the file, but needs renaming to .htaccess to be active

I'm about to turn on the "friendly URLs" option. It reads: "However, to enable this, mod_rewrite must be available and an appropriate .htaccess file (or the equivalent for your web server) must be in place."

What does it mean "approrpiate" exactly?

You wrote: "the included xenforo htaccess.txt that comes with the file". What file? (Sorry if I ask things that should be obvious)

So, to sum it up:
  • I turn on friendly URLs taking care a specific version of htaccess.txt is in place.
  • I install XenForo Redirects for vBulletin
  • I submit the site URL at Google Webmaster Tools for re-crawling

That right?

What does it mean "approrpiate" exactly?

It's the htacces you get when you download xenforo
You wrote: "the included xenforo htaccess.txt that comes with the file". What file? (Sorry if I ask things that should be obvious)

Sorry typo, should have said "that comes with the files" (as above)

htaccess is a file that is disabled until you rename it, ie to .htaccess (remove the extension and put the dot in front

That right?

More or less.
Yes but note the renaming of the xenforo htaccess (or if you already have your own, include the text in that as you can only have the one)

I'm not sure of the submitting for recrawling process - but at the very least make sure the sitemap is recognised. As mentioned, redrawing is less of an issue if you have the redirects addon.

Thanks a lot for your help. I'll try it.

Something else:

d) Members don't get emails.
A member tried to recover her password and told me she didn't receive an email.

Now I got asked to set up a Two-step verification, chose for an emal, but I don't seem to receive anything.

In the meanwhile I don't have access to the admincp. So, my forum has blocked out the admin.

Any ideas?

😐

Last edited:
1- Check your email settings:

a- ACP> Setup > Options> user registration >Enable email confirmation

b- ACP> Setup > Options> Email options

make sure your settings are correct.

2- Test outbound email

a- ACP> Tools >Test outbound email

if your setting is ok you will receive a note "The email was sent successfully with no errors."

3- Check junk folder/spam as emails sometimes end up there.

I always check the spam folder. Nothing's there.

So, in order to slove the Two-step verification issue I need to login but I can't due to the Two-step verification issue.

Any ideas? 😐

I always check the spam folder. Nothing's there.

So, in order to slove the Two-step verification issue I need to login but I can't due to the Two-step verification issue.

Any ideas? 😐

So you basically got locked out. No need to implement/activate/use two-step verification. it will cause you a headache especially if your board email stopped working for whatever reason. You as an admin should not use two-step verification.

Here is a way to access again your ACP and once there go to your permission and disable two-step verification if you want for all user groups

ACP > Groups & permissions > Usergroup permissions > require two step verifcation SET to NO

You can also disable that from your profile page

mainwhile add this code to your src/config.php file:

$config['enableTfa'] = false;

Edited to fix typo

Last edited:
I should have seen it, too.

Ok. This way it works and now I can connect to the ACP.

Now, what about those emails that don't get delivered? :unsure:

Take a look at my previous post #10

Go through the steps I put there and see if this resolve the issue.

1- Check your email settings:

a- ACP> Setup > Options> user registration >Enable email confirmation

it's on (like I want it)

b- ACP> Setup > Options> Email options

Everything looks correct enough to me.

The Email transport method is set to default.

2- Test outbound email

a- ACP> Tools >Test outbound email

if your setting is ok you will receive a note "The email was sent successfully with no errors."

It doesn't work.

I checked the log and I see:

Email to (myemail)@outlook.com failed: [E_WARNING] proc_open() has been disabled for security reasons
src/vendor/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/StreamBuffer.php:304

it's on (like I want it)

Everything looks correct enough to me.

The Email transport method is set to default.

It doesn't work.

I checked the log and I see:

Email to (myemail)@outlook.com failed: [E_WARNING] proc_open() has been disabled for security reasons
src/vendor/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/StreamBuffer.php:304

Enable SMTP < recommended

And ask your host OR if you have access to your server management panel enable PHP function proc_open()

Will I be able to send html formated newsletters with SMTP?

Anyway, when I check SMTP I need to type some info like host / port / username / password. Where do I get all that?

And ask your host OR if you have access to your server management panel enable PHP function proc_open()

IIRC I asked them about it before starting the Xenforo installation but they said it was not possible to do it.

EDIT: You do have redirection from vbulletin URLs in place?

I just installed this add-on but still, trying to visit (myforum)/forum/forum.php gives an "Oops".

I did turn on friendly URLs in ACP > Setup > Options > Basic Board btw.

Top Bottom