XF 1.5 After migration from vb, usergroup cleanup & registration best practices

tribedude

Now that our migration is complete, there is some fine tuning to do, especially when it comes to usergroups, and I am wondering if some of you would be able to give me some best practices for usergroups and registration going forward. Our registration is off until we figure this out..

When we were on vb, I manually approved each new registration. Basically, when someone registered they went into a usergroup called "Registered" that had no rights or posting ability (this was the default place they went in vb) until they were vetted and then I moved them to the "Member" usergroup, which had normal posting + replying ability. The registrations that did not check out I left in the "Registered" usergroup. Consequently I now have a very large "Registered" usergroup. These are people that should be put somewhere else, maybe "Banned".

Can I bulk move members from this "registered" group into the "Banned" usergroup? How do I do this?

OR

Could I just rename this "Registered" group to something else... say "Legacy Banned", and then create a new "Registered" group for new registrations in Xenforo?

What is the best way to do this?

I take it when somebody registers on a Xenforo board, they automatically get put into the "Registered" usergroup.
Correct.

Everyone should be in the Registered group as the primary, with other groups added as secondary.

You would set the basic restricted permissions in that group and then use automatic promotions to add people to secondary user groups, with enhanced permissions.

So what do I do with all the existing people in the "Registered" group that have no ability to post (everyone in that group)? Can I bulk move them somehow to "Banned"? Or should I just rename the "Registered" usergroup something else and then create a new, empty "Registered" usergroup?

You need to use the original, default, Registered user group as the primary (ID 2) - not one you have created yourself.

Use the bulk user tools to move members to the Registered user group and then either manually add them to other groups, or set up promotions to do it automatically (I would recommend the latter).

I only have one Registered group after the import. How can I find out its ID number just to be sure its the right one?

If its the right one, can I use the batch user tools to empty all the existing legacy users out of it to add to the Banned usergroup?

Click on the user group - the ID will be in the URL.

If its the right one, can I use the batch user tools to empty all the existing legacy users out of it to add to the Banned usergroup?
Again, I would refer you to this:
Everyone should be in the Registered group as the primary, with other groups added as secondary.

The 'Banned' user group in XF only relates to styling - it has no impact on permissions or anything else.
Banning in XF is carried out at a level above user groups.

OK, maybe I should put this another way... How do I clean out all these dud legacy users from the Registered usergoup? Create a new usergroup and move them into it? The Registered group is #2 by the way...

Top Bottom