Fixed  After Import, Old Moderators Given Mod Permissions

Mr_Bob

It seems that permissions once set in for moderators, under super mod permissions in VB, are given to users after an import who previously held moderator positions.

In the vB board, if you go to forums & mods > show all mods
are they listed there - despite not being in the usergroup anymore?

Nope, they had their mod permissions taken many moons ago :). Seems to only happen for mods, not administrators. I was able to fix the issue by going in and just removing their "mod status", but of course it would be kinder of the importer to do it for me. It's beta though, so it's all good, but I thought I'd bring it to the attention of the devs.

I just checked out my database. It turns out that VB doesn't clear old moderator permissions, even after the mod is moved to a "normal" usergroup. I confirmed by adding one of my old mods as a mod again on my VB board and, low and behold, they re-inherited their old permissions. Seems to be a VB error that the importer interprets otherwise.

Seeing as VB 3 isn't really receiving updates any longer though, might be good to put a bypass for this in the importer, or a warning about it.

I just checked out my database. It turns out that VB doesn't clear old moderator permissions, even after the mod is moved to a "normal" usergroup. I confirmed by adding one of my old mods as a mod again on my VB board and, low and behold, they re-inherited their old permissions. Seems to be a VB error that the importer interprets otherwise.

I have confirmed this behavior in vB3.8. Add a user to the super mod group, then edit and save their mod permissions under Show All Moderators. Now remove the user from the super mod group. The result is an orphaned record for that user in the moderator table.

The orphaned record doesn't appear to matter in vB but it could be messing up the import.

Yeah, the system pulls that orphaned record. I believe I have this fixed for beta 2, will need to do some testing

Top Bottom