Adsense adverts crashing IE7,8 & 9

MGSteve

I've had a big problem recently with random crashes on my forums (still vb 3.8), but I'm 90% sure I've tracked the problem down to the adsense banners that are being shown.

Has anyone else had issues with adsense banners crashing browsers?

Anyone who pays for a paid subscription on my site isn't shown these banners and they on the whole are not experiencing the problems - hence my reasoning that it is Adsense causing the problem.

Yes, I've seen this be a big issue before.

The only solution, as far as I am aware, is to find out which ads are causing it.

There's probably a handful of ads which are either trying to do something they shouldn't or just resource hogs. Find out what they are, and try and exclude them.

Of course if it's text only ads then that's a bit of a mystery...

No, its definately image banners.

I'm banning certain adnetworks that appear to be causing issues now, hopefully that should sort it. How they can get their ads published is a bit of a concern though, you'd have thought they would have to be tested prior to releasing them.

Oh yeah, you'd think so.

I'd like to think things have improved but I remember about 4-5 years ago a few adsense banners installing malware onto people's machines. Obviously a big part of that problem was crappy browser security, but still... How does that slip through?

Though I guess they can always say to Google here's my ad, it's nice and clean! And then later on inject some malicious code into it.

Top Bottom