Lack of interest Adjust <title> for non-English characters

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Ryan Kent

When non-English speakers make posts on my site, they often post in their native language. When their characters are converted for the html title tag, each character is represented by three character code such as %90. The result is a very long title tag which gets cut off by Google.

Example:

www.terapvp.com/threads/%D0%94%D0%BE%D0%B1%D1%80%D0%BE-%D0%BF%D0%BE%D0%B6%D0%B0%D0%BB%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%B0%D1%82%D1%8C.1356/

We need a better way to handle this issue. I realize there is a <meta http-equiv="content-language" content="en" /> tag where the language could be changed for the specific forums which use each language, but I don't think that will help with this issue.

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I was just discussing this with Mike and he said there has been a note about making an option to romanize URLs for a while.

It's possible that it may be provided as an option in the future.

That won't resolve the problem with the address bar in IE though.

Note this doesn't have to do with the <title> tag, just the URLs.

The URLs display in most browsers correctly (not IE), though it does get encoded when you copy. We will probably consider a Romanizing option in the future though.

Note this doesn't have to do with the <title> tag, just the URLs.

The URLs display in most browsers correctly (not IE), though it does get encoded when you copy. We will probably consider a Romanizing option in the future though.
oh so its not UTF-8? deleted my post than :P

Thanks for the information. I wasn't aware of the IE issue prior to now. I just checked a thread in IE and now understand what you are talking about.

When it is time to test your solution, my site is available. Currently we have 15 language-specific forums. If I can find a Korean or Japanese moderator, we will grow further. http://www.terapvp.com/categories/tera-language-forums.25/

I hope when you do figure out a solution, it can work for the title tag as well.

EDIT: One other concern is SEO. If a Russian user searches for a keyword or phrase, a result in Russian will rank higher then a result in English. If the title isn't perfectly converted, then the ranking can be far off.

That's a thing that has prevented me from using friendly-URL with thread titles all these years D: It's especially bad when copy+pasting Asian language wikipedia pages.

I think I set my Xenforo to leave out the title and only use ID. On other forum software, I turn off pretty-url altogether.

There's a way around. When you high light the URL, if you leave out http:// and only high light the rest, they usually will paste correctly.

Hello,

This is something that should be resolved .. just like wordpress does because it's ugly and strange to average users.

Thanks

Top Bottom