XF 2.2 Adding images to a post is now more complicated

Hmm. I actually hadn't tried adding an image on 2.2 until I saw this thread. I found that you don't have to click insert if you drag-and-drop the image and want to display it as a full image, but if you click insert after a drag and drop and choose Thumbnail it gives you both a full-size image and a thumbnail.

That's to be expected.

You can insert an attached image as many times as you like in a post as full or thumbnail.
Seems odd to me that if you choose thumbnail as an option it wouldn't insert it as just a thumbnail, rather than both full size and thumbnail at the same time, but I guess that's just me. In any case, it doesn't do that if you add the image using the "Attach files" option. Not that I'm going to lose any sleep over it.

Seems odd to me that if you choose thumbnail as an option it wouldn't insert it as just a thumbnail, rather than both full size and thumbnail at the same time
It's hard to follow your sentence but clicking thumbnail only inserts a thumbnail and clicking full only inserts a full image.

It's hard to follow your sentence but clicking thumbnail only inserts a thumbnail and clicking full only inserts a full image.
My main point was that you get completely different behavior if you drag-and-drop an image, as opposed to adding an image by clicking "Attach files." If you use the latter option, you get the behavior people above are complaining about. If you drag-and-drop the image, it will automatically add the image as full size by default - but if at that point you still decide to click insert to choose thumbnail instead, it won't replace the full-size image with a thumbnail, but will instead add a thumbnail in addition to the full size. But as you say, that might all be as intended.

EDIT: Actually, I guess nothing has changed in this regard, since I now see it's exactly the same behavior when using drag and drop in 2.1. I just never noticed because I never used thumbnails. 🤪

Last edited:
I've got this packaged into an addon, just have to add a setting and release it.

Posted,

My main point was that you get completely different behavior if you drag-and-drop an image, as opposed to adding an image by clicking "Attach files." If you use the latter option, you get the behavior people above are complaining about. If you drag-and-drop the image, it will automatically add the image as full size by default - but if at that point you still decide to click insert to choose thumbnail instead, it won't replace the full-size image with a thumbnail, but will instead add a thumbnail in addition to the full size. But as you say, that might all be as intended.

EDIT: Actually, I guess nothing has changed in this regard, since I now see it's exactly the same behavior when using drag and drop in 2.1. I just never noticed because I never used thumbnails. 🤪
This has confused my users.

It seems after adding an image via drag and drop, or by browsing via the bbcode icon, it is inserted as full image. At that point you then think "do i want this as full image or tumbnail?" and click on either (in the attcachment) thinking you are choosing for the image you just inserted, but no, it adds the image again. IMO this is not intuitive.

But inserting by attachment does seem to do waht it says on the tin. The imgae is uploaded, but not inserted in the message. So you click on either thumb or full and as expected it is inserted as that.

I think after upgrading to 2 I had a flurry of posts with duplicate images because after adding via drag and drop, people thought the full or thumb would change that one, rather than add a new one.

Isn't there a suggestion somewhere to make this more consistent/intuitive?

Quite a few of my members are confused by it as well, plus many aren't seeing the 'Insert...' overlay on the thumb preview and as such just the cropped thumbnail shows in posts, not the full image they wanted.
The previous method in 2.1 was a lot simpler for many general users imo

Quite a few of my members are confused by it as well, plus many aren't seeing the 'Insert...' overlay on the thumb preview and as such just the cropped thumbnail shows in posts, not the full image they wanted.
The previous method in 2.1 was a lot simpler for many general users imo
I have now discouraged use of the attach files for images. I prefer full size to tumbnails mostly anyway so now, even though it isn't totally intuitive if they do want a thumb, at least it's consistent.

Screenshot 2020-10-21 at 12.16.50.webp

Top Bottom