1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding custom php in to a sidebar template

Discussion in 'XenForo Development Discussions' started by ratava, Jun 6, 2012.

1. ratava

ratava Member

Sorry in advance if this has been covered.

I am trying to create a simple sidebar plugin that makes a call to an external php class and returns back with a set of names (minecraft player names from a server).

I have follow this instructions of Fuhrmann the wise here and have a working sidebar with a template.

The problem I have is adding php code in to the template that makes the call to the php class and print the names of the players.

within a template does not seem to work.

I have tried using Kitomi's Generic script bridge within the sidebar template which does not work. I have the code I want working from a page based on the script bridge though. Just not in a sidebar.

I am new to xenforo and have tried to find a definitive guide on programming addons. Can someone please point me in the right direction.

Thanks and regards
  2. James

James Well-Known Member

You'll need to do the username fetching via an add-on and then insert it into the template via the template hooks.

How To Use Template Hooks | XenForo Community

Create a new template in the Admin CP, use XenForo to push the results to that template and then include that template in the sidebar (either manually or via hooks).
  3. ratava

ratava Member

Thanks James.

I ended up getting to work last night by creating a template helper. One call to that helper and it returns all of the info.

Thanks to Fuhrmann and all of his tutorials. (y)