Add "What's New" link button to the Breadcrumbs bar

Morgain

My members find the What's New check so useful I'd like it to be easier to use. I already put a link in my sidebar but now I'd like to add that link on a button on the breadcrumbs bar.

Preferably so I can make it an include template.

On the breadcrumbs bar like this:

breadcrum.webp

My members find the What's New check so useful I'd like it to be easier to use. I already put a link in my sidebar but now I'd like to add that link on a button on the breadcrumbs bar.

Preferably so I can make it an include template.

On the breadcrumbs bar like this:

View attachment 34328

This is probably not the best way and i'm sure jake or someone will post a better method.Simply adjust the colours to your preference and add a hover if you prefer breadnew.webp

In the Breadcrumb template add

Code:
<div class="breadnew"><a href="{xen:link 'find-new/threads'}">{xen:phrase whats_new}</a></div>

Before:
Code:
</fieldset>

And then in extra css add the following

Code:
.breadnew {
float: right;
padding: 2px 10px;
margin: 2px 5px;
background-color: green;
border: 1px solid darkgreen;
border-radius: 5px;

}
.breadnew a {
color: white;
}

What I always do is hide the jumpmenu trigger (i find the feature useless) so on the chance you want to remove the jumptrigger icon to the right of it simply add in extra css the following

Code:
.breadcrumb .jumpMenuTrigger {
display:none;
}

And may I just say Morgain, this is an excellent placement. (y)

Just another thing. If you are only wanting the What's new displayed in the top breadcrumb and not the bottom breadcrumb add the following into your EXTRA.CSS template

Code:
.breadBoxBottom .breadnew {
display: none;
}

I use it all the time.
dry.png

Thanks tons Shelley. The only difference I did was to make the inserted code a xen include so I can put it in other places too. I like xen includes. Also hopefully will make it easier to update them later as all my includes start with my name in the templates list.

I agree the jumpmenu is useless where it is because that little icon is too small and obscure. But with some editing of its template on the left hand list, I get a useful QUICKMENU popup which I link off my sidemenu.

What I always do is hide the jumpmenu trigger (i find the feature useless) so on the chance you want to remove the jumptrigger icon to the right of it simply add in extra css the following

Code:
.breadcrumb .jumpMenuTrigger {
display:none;
}

I don't know anyone who uses the jumpmenu. Better to delete it. Seems like a visual distraction.

I use it on here quite a bit.
. I did bring it out on one of my boards and put it on my sidemenu as a link + also a navig tab. I called it Quickmenu and designed what it contained quite carefully. Not sure if it was used much.

Anyway I'd NEVER delete code! You never know if it might be useful later in relation to a new situation or an addon you install.
Use <xen:comment>STUFF YOU WANT TO HIDE</xen:comment>

Better still get with TMS - which I'm about to learn.

This is probably not the best way and i'm sure jake or someone will post a better method.Simply adjust the colours to your preference and add a hover if you prefer .... etc

Shelley this was one of the best best tweaks EVER. My members (And I) use it CONSTANTLY.
Big thanks to our CSS expert.

I have Whats New in top and bottom breadcrumbs as above only red font on white called LATEST1
plus same button in the sidebar on all pages.
It's on several secondary tabs on the navbar too.
So it's never far away.

I have Whats New in top and bottom breadcrumbs as above only red font on white called LATEST1
plus same button in the sidebar on all pages.
It's on several secondary tabs on the navbar too.
So it's never far away.

Did you find this to be useful? Has activity increased on the site? I think I might try this. People get hooked on little things like this.

Did you find this to be useful? Has activity increased on the site? I think I might try this. People get hooked on little things like this.

Yes it's been very useful. People have mentioned it and my impression is it's the main way they use the site.
I have a small addon that attaches a usergroup to a forum so they ALWAYS get notifications on it. I dont abuse it, one forum per key usergroup. it brings them back wonderfully - the main one is Personal News by full members.
Then when they return they click Whats New to catch up.

Top Bottom