Implemented Add tags and fields to Add Media page

Martok

Tags and Fields are very useful for adding information to media. Tags are particularly useful to locate similar media and these will be even more important with the hinted improvements coming to these.

Currently to add tags and fields you have to visit each media item one-by-one after the media has been added to the gallery. This is generally too much of a faff for users, especially if they have added several media items. They just can't be bothered to go to each one afterwards to include the information. This particularly devalues tags - I find much of the media on my site isn't tagged and this is at least partly due to this.

I propose that tags and fields are added to the Add Media page so that, as media is added, tags and fields can be completed at this stage rather than having to wait until after the media is added (although I'd still have the current tags and fields tab remain so that any tags can be added/changed afterwards too). I think by adding this, it would enable greater use of tags and fields.

Upvote 23
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I second this.

It would be great if albums themselves could be tagged too.

If this does get implemented, please add the ability to bulk add tags to existing images/albums.

Apologies for bumping this suggestion but I thought the following information, which wasn't available at the time of the first post, is useful in supporting this.

XFMG on this site, according to Gallery Statistics, now has 259 uploaded media and 23 embedded media. Looking at the tag list

https://xenforo.com/community/media/tags

the most used tag, "xenforo member" is only associated with 5 items. The next most used, "xenforo staff member" is used on 3 items. The rest are used only once or twice. There are 41 tags in total, some of which are used on the same items, so only 40ish images are tagged.

I suggest that the limited use of tagging is not because people don't want to tag but its because tags and fields have to be added after upload by visiting media one by one to do this. Most people don't have the time to do this or are unaware of the tagging option, hence the lack of tags. I believe this would change if tags and fields could be added to media on the Add Media page, allowing users to input these in one go when uploading media.

Tags and Fields are very useful for adding information to media. Tags are particularly useful to locate similar media and these will be even more important with the hinted improvements coming to these.

Currently to add tags and fields you have to visit each media item one-by-one after the media has been added to the gallery. This is generally too much of a faff for users, especially if they have added several media items. They just can't be bothered to go to each one afterwards to include the information. This particularly devalues tags - I find much of the media on my site isn't tagged and this is at least partly due to this.

I propose that tags and fields are added to the Add Media page so that, as media is added, tags and fields can be completed at this stage rather than having to wait until after the media is added (although I'd still have the current tags and fields tab remain so that any tags can be added/changed afterwards too). I think by adding this, it would enable greater use of tags and fields.
This is a great suggestion and was something I had asked in another thread, so there is definitely interest out there.

without question, its not quite perfected but how to get it exact, I don't know. The first time I added media I was clueless where to enter tags.. But wow, are they ever effective! After using it on my site, I am gaining serious love for this add-on now.

The way tags are to be added, it takes an awkward one too many steps, however, its also a double edged sword because after the media is entered, you are able to go back and play it, listen or watch and choose tags you might not though of.

Seems very logical. The very first response about this add-on that I got from a user was this: I can't figure the way to add 'tags' to the Album - to get it listed into Art and Photographs .. it seems to be either add the item / picture to the Art section or to your own Album.

So the tag functionality is clearly confusing--to this user and to me.

Like many others here I need this to encourage better use of tags in XFMG.

I'm thinking of finding a developer to implement this via custom development (or seeing how feasible it is).

But seeing as this is the fourth most popular XFMG suggestion (by likes) I'm a little hesitant as there is that possibility it might be implemented officially later.

Surprised this isn't so out of the box already :o

Everyone is used to tagging media while uploading, i.e: deviantArt, Imgur etc. Adding tags individually after upload is tedious and deters many. Adding tags while uploading can improve tag visibility and members will tag more, helping organization at the end of the day.

This should be implemented and I've liked the first post to show my support for the suggestion.

I agree with this,

This is one thing that bothers me. I don't understand why the tagging is hidden way in the photos.
Also would be good if you could tag the whole album

Here is a photo. As you can see there is

"tag whole album"
"set all tags to: : "

"enter tag"

see picture
Capture.webp

Last edited:
awesome!! now it will be easy to tag media, before now one knew how to tag media

i hope you can add later feature
Capture.webp

tank you sir!! it is good work

Top Bottom