Not planned Add support for postgresql in 2.1.x

alsoGAMER

Hello, i have a very biggest and very popular forum with a tons of addons that continously write data on mysql xf's database and this cause a lot of performance problem to the site itself and also to the entire server 'cause i haven't only xf on mysql, so is possible to have an update with the implementation of async postgresql support for the 2.1.x branch? This can really save performance of the site because i have also installed xf enhanced search and redis cache but this 2 addons can't do miracles if the database support is limited only to mysql...

@Chris D i hope you read this message and suggest this to the rest of the xf developers, it would be great

Last edited:
Upvote 2
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I don't think we'll see support for anything else than MySQL in the forseeable future.
XenForo is optimized for MySQL and this is what every shared webhost out there will offer, where you can get support everywhere.

To support other DBMS those optimized queries would have to be redone for every DBMS or undone to only use standard (SQL:1999 ?) which most likely would severely decrease performance.

PostgreSQL is a niche product when it comes to web applications, heck even Facebook and Twitter do use MySQL.

If you have decent hardware and optimized settings, I doubt you will have too much issues to run even the biggest XenForo forum in the world.

There have already been discussions in the past and it was flagged as Not Planned

Last edited:
While I'm all for options in XenForo, this bothers me...
with a tons of addons that continously write data on mysql xf's database and this cause a lot of performance problem to the site itself
There are HUGE sites running MySQL without missing a beat. I think maybe a lot more information would be needed. Nothing should continuously write to the database. If something does, then there is a problem there that needs to be addressed.

I help run a couple of large sites using XenForo, and don't have a MySQL performance problem. The front-end parts running php runs out of CPU well before a properly sized database does.

Top Bottom