XF 2.1 Add-on installation gone wrong S9e

tribedude

We tried to install the S9e add-on and it produced a pile of error messages relating to permissions. The developer said to 777 the permissions in the internal data directory and this has no effect

Now it seems like the installation is hung. It wont install, we can't seem to unistall it. and it has produced the following error message at the top of the page.

Attachments

• incomplete-installation.webp
    incomplete-installation.webp
    30.9 KB · Views: 17
You should ask the developer here:

Says the developer: "I don't know what the official procedure to recover from an incomplete installation is. I generally uninstall the add-on and reinstall it but you should definitely ask in the XenForo support forum because that's a common issue and they surely know what's the best way to proceed forward. "

So since some things seem to be pending with that error message, yet it isn't installed, what do I do to recover from this?

I'm copying the error message here because it's the absolute most important piece of information:
I am trying to install this add-on and we get a huge page of error messages starting with:

ErrorException: [E_WARNING] file_put_contents(/var/www/html/tribemagazine.com/board/internal_data/code_cache/templates/l1/s0/public/_media_site_embed_abcnews.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in src/vendor/league/flysystem/src/Adapter/Local.php at line 200

The issue isn't related to the add-on, it was bound to happen whenever a template was created or modified. Now it's just a matter of recovering from a partial install. I assume it involves uninstalling the add-on and reinstalling it.

You can take a look at Mike's responses in this thread to get an idea of the kinds of things you should be looking at (like other error messages):

But as the dev already suggested, you might want to just uninstall and reinstall. You could also try rebuilding the addon's master data. Click the gear icon to the right of the addon's name in your admin and then click Rebuild.

Uninstalled your files. CLeared the error messages. Reinstalled. Still this:

ErrorException: [E_WARNING] file_put_contents(/var/www/html/tribemagazine.com/board/internal_data/code_cache/templates/l1/s0/public/_media_site_embed_abcnews.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in src/vendor/league/flysystem/src/Adapter/Local.php at line 200

1. XF::handlePhpError()
  2. file_put_contents() in src/vendor/league/flysystem/src/Adapter/Local.php at line 200
  3. League\Flysystem\Adapter\Local->update() in src/vendor/league/flysystem/src/Filesystem.php at line 99
  4. League\Flysystem\Filesystem->put()
  5. call_user_func_array() in src/vendor/league/flysystem-eventable-filesystem/src/EventableFilesystem.php at line 431
  6. League\Flysystem\EventableFilesystem\EventableFilesystem->callFilesystemMethod() in src/vendor/league/flysystem-eventable-filesystem/src/EventableFilesystem.php at line 395
  7. League\Flysystem\EventableFilesystem\EventableFilesystem->delegateMethodCall() in src/vendor/league/flysystem-eventable-filesystem/src/EventableFilesystem.php at line 57
  8. League\Flysystem\EventableFilesystem\EventableFilesystem->put() in src/vendor/league/flysystem/src/MountManager.php at line 595
  9. League\Flysystem\MountManager->put() in src/XF/Util/File.php at line 197
  10. XF\Util\File::writeToAbstractedPath() in src/XF/Service/Template/Compile.php at line 146
  11. XF\Service\Template\Compile->writeCompiled() in src/XF/Service/Template/Compile.php at line 43
  12. XF\Service\Template\Compile->recompile() in src/XF/Entity/Template.php at line 433
  13. XF\Entity\Template->_postSave() in src/XF/Mvc/Entity/Entity.php at line 1208
  14. XF\Mvc\Entity\Entity->save() in src/XF/Mvc/Entity/Entity.php at line 1202
  15. XF\Mvc\Entity\Entity->save() in src/XF/AddOn/DataType/BbCodeMediaSite.php at line 85
  16. XF\AddOn\DataType\BbCodeMediaSite->importAddOnData() in src/XF/Job/AddOnData.php at line 106
  17. XF\Job\AddOnData->run() in src/XF/Job/Manager.php at line 253
  18. XF\Job\Manager->runJobInternal() in src/XF/Job/Manager.php at line 195
  19. XF\Job\Manager->runJobEntry() in src/XF/Job/Manager.php at line 111
  20. XF\Job\Manager->runByIds() in src/XF/Admin/Controller/Tools.php at line 120
  21. XF\Admin\Controller\Tools->actionRunJob() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 321
  22. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchClass() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 244
  23. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchFromMatch() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 100
  24. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchLoop() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 50
  25. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run() in src/XF/App.php at line 2178
  26. XF\App->run() in src/XF.php at line 390
  27. XF::runApp() in admin.php at line 13

You can take a look at Mike's responses in this thread to get an idea of the kinds of things you should be looking at (like other error messages):

But as the dev already suggested, you might want to just uninstall and reinstall. You could also try rebuilding the addon's master data. Click the gear icon to the right of the addon's name in your admin and then click Rebuild.

There is no gear icon next to the name because it won't install.

I'm copying the error message here because it's the absolute most important piece of information:

The issue isn't related to the add-on, it was bound to happen whenever a template was created or modified. Now it's just a matter of recovering from a partial install. I assume it involves uninstalling the add-on and reinstalling it.

What has these two failed installation attempts done to our board? Can I just remove your files and I'll be OK? Or has it modified things in the database I don't know about? Can you tell me how to revert back to my nice new installation b4 your add-on?

You could try rebuilding the master data for the forum: yourdomain.com/install

Couldn't hurt. Strange, though, especially with no other addon's. I use that addon myself, along with probably about 50 others, and never had an issue with it.

@tribedude Really what you should do is fix your permissions because you're going to have the same problem the next time you upgrade XenForo or change anything on your installation. Check out with your web host about making your internal_data directory writable.

Did you take a backup before installing the addon? If so restore the backup.
I would caution against that. I don't think the inconsistent state now impedes the forums besides having media sites that won't actually work. On the other hand, if any issue occurs during the backup restoration I don't see how tribedude will recover.

You could try rebuilding the master data for the forum: yourdomain.com/install

Couldn't hurt. Strange, though, especially with no other addon's. I use that addon myself, along with probably about 50 others, and never had an issue with it.

It is truly sad because this is the first add-on we installed after the 1.x-2.1x migration.

I would caution against that. I don't think the inconsistent state now impedes the forums besides having media sites that won't actually work. On the other hand, if any issue occurs during the backup restoration I don't see how tribedude will recover.

What? One should always take a backup before installing/upgrading any addons, styles or XF. So if something does go wrong, you restore the backup before the site was affected. That is SOP.

@tribedude Really what you should do is fix your permissions because you're going to have the same problem the next time you upgrade XenForo or change anything on your installation. Check out with your web host about making your internal_data directory writable.

I would caution against that. I don't think the inconsistent state now impedes the forums besides having media sites that won't actually work.

The permissions are set as you suggested. Are you saying that media sites may not work, even if we add them manually using the BB code system? Has that been impacted?

Anyway, someone would need to access the DB, see what has been changed and undue the changes. then remove the addon from the xf_addon table. Then remove the files.

Top Bottom