******* add-on cannot be uninstalled

I'm just trying to uninstall one of their styles (Magnesium) and it won't allow me to remove the framework addon that goes with it. I get a server error:

Careful about complaining... I wrote my review, and immediately got IP Banned from the site.

Screenshot_10.webp

Open: /*******/*******Helper/Installer.php find something along the lines of

Code:
public function _checkLicense()
{
and add
Code:
return true;
right after the {

Please note that this may not work. I've never seen his code and am just kind of guessing what it should return based on the function name.

Open: /*******/*******Helper/Installer.php find something along the lines of

Code:
public function _checkLicense()
{
and add
Code:
return true;
right after the {

Please note that this may not work. I've never seen his code and am just kind of guessing what it should return based on the function name.
They might be looking for "protected function" instead of "public function" because of the underscore in _checkLicense.

I haven't seen the code myself either however.

Last edited:
@Mike Edge Please read our announcement again at https://*******.com/threads/new-terms-of-use-*******-memberships.728/

@******* That really isn't fair to older customers.. The ones that supported you starting up.. You should extend it to all clients, not just those that purchased after Aug 30th. Some of us spent several hundred dollars with you including myself. I would think a better show of graditude for that would be be to include all customers.

They might be looking for "protected function" instead of "public function" because of the underscore in _check license.

I haven't seen the code myself either however.

On our source code, this function must be protected.

Thanks for your feedback.

@******* That really isn't fair to older customers.. The ones that supported you starting up.. You should extend it to all clients, not just those that purchased after Aug 30th. Some of us spent several hundred dollars with you including myself. I would think a better show of graditude for that would be be to include all customers.

Thanks for your feedback. We have noted your feedback. Let us try and will have an announcement about it shortly.

Careful about complaining... I wrote my review, and immediately got IP Banned from the site.

View attachment 83370

That is some terrible business practice. Guess I know who I'll NEVER buy anything from.. I also like how @******* completely ignored your post, and didn't provide any real reason for that. I'd definately contact paypal and get a refund for anything you have bought from them since they are denying you access to something for a completely illegitimate reason.

Reactions: Xon
That is some terrible business practice. Guess I know who I'll NEVER buy anything from.. I also like how @******* completely ignored your post, and didn't provide any real reason for that. I'd definately contact paypal and get a refund for anything you have bought from them since they are denying you access to something for a completely illegitimate reason.

Sheldon said that he got full refunds.

However there are people who didn't get banned but discouraged at his site, also making it impossible to get any support or downloads. Just without the "nice" message (and the refund).

I only can recommend ******* to hire a decent customer relation manager to allow himself to focus at coding. How he treats his customers currently (and sees a potential software pirate without any rights in each one of them) is a nightmare and a big failure risk to his company.

Sheldon said that he got full refunds.

Ah, must have missed that bit.

However there are people who didn't get banned but discouraged at his site, also making it impossible to get any support or downloads. Just without the "nice" message (and the refund).

Yeah, that's terrible. He is doomed to fail if he continues to do things like that..

Also, @******* Your site gives an SQL error when I try to login.

Code:
Mysqli prepare error: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'Change ip address'',''Insert'','''',' at line 3

Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_prepare() in Zend/Db/Statement.php at line 115
Zend_Db_Statement->__construct() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Mysqli.php at line 381
Zend_Db_Adapter_Mysqli->prepare() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 478
Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query() in *******/AccountSecurityEssential/Model/ChangeLog.php at line 24
*******_AccountSecurityEssential_Model_ChangeLog->saveChangedLog() in *******/AccountSecurityEssential/ControllerPublic/AccountConfirmation.php at line 140
*******_AccountSecurityEssential_ControllerPublic_AccountConfirmation->actionBrAddIpAddress() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 347
XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 134
XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/*******/public_html/index.php at line 13

After seeing this post over at XenAdmins I have always made it a point to stay away from ******* add-ons. What's also disappointing to see is that XenForo and company is perfectly fine with this behavior as they continue to allow this person to released "addons" here.

I have to say there are several good developers here but there seems to be far more dysfunctional and/or greedy developers. The seemingly charging for every addon big or small, the never ending "branding" added, and now the begging from developers for me to sign up on their site...

convo.webp

Not to get to far off topic, but this above screen shot if from a conversation started BY @Waindigo this morning, which I then replied and was then sent the above message. So now developers are taking to conversation spam too? It's sad.

The seemingly charging for every addon big or small, the never ending "branding" added, and now the begging from developers for me to sign up on their site...
There's nothing greedy about developers charging for their products. If they have put in their own time and effort to create them, why shouldn't they receive some financial recompense? If anything, what is greedy is users expecting everything to be given to them for nothing.

As for branding, I don't like it but you usually have a choice to pay for its removal. If it bothers you, either pay up or uninstall the add-on but don't begrudge developers from trying to earn some income.

Regarding developers' sites, I don't see a problem with these, especially if they produce several add-ons. It's far easier to keep track of bugs/issues and support users' problems than in a single long discussion thread for each add-on here.

There's nothing greedy about developers charging for their products. If they have put in their own time and effort to create them, why shouldn't they receive some financial recompense? If anything, what is greedy is users expecting everything to be given to them for nothing.
You've obviously missed the point. There absolutely not an issue with developers charging for addons. The fact is there are many more developers that seem more interested in trying to make a quick dollar and see what the can get away with for charging or in a case like ******* and putting questionable (at best) code in add-ons. Prime example is this add-on that "bans" a member... something that can simply be done using the Infractions built-in system.

As for branding, I don't like it but you usually have a choice to pay for its removal. If it bothers you, either pay up or uninstall the add-on but don't begrudge developers from trying to earn some income.
Usually being the key, but not always.

Regarding developers' sites, I don't see a problem with these, especially if they produce several add-ons. It's far easier to keep track of bugs/issues and support users' problems than in a single long discussion thread for each add-on here.
I don't care if a developer has a "support" site or five of them. I really don't care what sites they have. What's annoying, as in this case... they start a conversation HERE on xenforo with me expecting a reply to which I reply only to get an autoreply asking me to sign up on his site. That's spam, no other way around it.

Lets keep this thread on topic, if you'd like to discuss further I'd be happy to take this to PM... pending you don't try to get me to sign up on your site too. ;)

I was planning to buy one of his smaller addons and what put me off was the branding. I have no problem with branding but even with a larger addon, like a photo gallery, the branding should be visible only on gallery pages. But with his addons no matter how small or big the addon is there is a branding on all of your xenforo pages. I don't think this is the right way to do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: koi
After seeing this post over at XenAdmins I have always made it a point to stay away from ******* add-ons. What's also disappointing to see is that XenForo and company is perfectly fine with this behavior as they continue to allow this person to released "addons" here.

I have to say there are several good developers here but there seems to be far more dysfunctional and/or greedy developers. The seemingly charging for every addon big or small, the never ending "branding" added, and now the begging from developers for me to sign up on their site...

View attachment 83394

Not to get to far off topic, but this above screen shot if from a conversation started BY @Waindigo this morning, which I then replied and was then sent the above message. So now developers are taking to conversation spam too? It's sad.

This is very disturbing. I have never had a addon from this company but now i am very concerned. I moved my forums from vBulletin not only for the the Software (Xenforo) Which let me tell you I am very pleased with and happy. I also moved because of the vast choices in cool addons. However, I am very concerned about the developers of addons having freedom to add this kind of code without worry or retribution. I also want to know what the management here is going to do about it. Something like this is not good PR for any party involved.

Also, if any developer ever forces me to join their site just to have a conversation i will not purchase further addons and the ones that are installed will be removed. I am the customer, I am the one that needs to be satisfied.

I wonder what our members would say if you started a thread on your forums with a title (By the way we have a cool new add on but it collects data and is sent to a remote server)

How long do you think your forums would last after that? Or how many members would leave?

Last edited:
What's also disappointing to see is that XenForo and company is perfectly fine with this behavior as they continue to allow this person to released "addons" here.

Xenforo can't do anything about that, since it is not their business to quality check any add-ons.

Currently any evil developer could for example transfer the content of your whole database to his server silently, if he likes to do that. There are no restrictions what an add-on can do!

This is why everyone should be very careful installing add-ons at his server and use only trusted add-ons by trusted developers.

You may create a new suggestion for XenForo to change the environment for add-ons to be restricted to certain actions only. Much like Android Apps which are asking for permissions when installed. But I doubt that such a change will ever happen. Perhaps in XenForo version 5. ;-)

We also could create a "Trusted Developers Network" with rules about voluntary coding restrictions and privacy handling. I think, this may in fact be a good idea.

Xenforo can't do anything about that, since it is not their business to quality check any add-ons.

Currently any evil developer could for example transfer the content of your whole database to his server silently, if he likes to do that. There are no restrictions what an add-on can do!

This is why everyone should be very careful installing add-ons at his server and use only trusted add-ons by trusted developers.

You may create a new suggestion for XenForo to change the environment for add-ons to be restricted to certain actions only. Much like Android Apps which are asking for permissions when installed. But I doubt that such a change will ever happen. Perhaps in XenForo version 5. ;-)

We also could create a "Trusted Developers Network" with rules about voluntary coding restrictions and privacy handling. I think, this may in fact be a good idea.
At the very least when a developer like this one has been identified he should be removed from here and his software removed from the recourse manager. This person has already proved that he is underhanded. I also noticed that this person bans people that leave bad reviews and has taken unauthorized payments through paypal

I whole heartily disagree with your statement, there is a lot that can be done.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

As you know by do a searching in Google, our products are pirated (null/share) to many. And sometime we receive fraud payment. We implement this feature to prevent it. But today, we've just realized it's our mistake and we've removed from our system.

Thanks for your feedback.
When will you remove or revise your call backs?
I understand your desire to protect your work from piracy, but your current methods scare away customers.
Trust me when I tell you that callbacks don't protect against piracy.

Prime example is this add-on that "bans" a member... something that can simply be done using the Infractions built-in system.

Really? That can be done simply by using the Infractions built-in system? Can you please explain it to us how that can be done? Because that add on, from looking at its description and screenshots, does something which can not be established with the Infractions built-in system or anything else built in xenforo for that matter.

I don't care if a developer has a "support" site or five of them. I really don't care what sites they have. What's annoying, as in this case... they start a conversation HERE on xenforo with me expecting a reply to which I reply only to get an autoreply asking me to sign up on his site. That's spam, no other way around it.

I do not see it as spam. Most coders like to use their site to keep a better track of their work. What is so spamming about that? If you do not like it, then do not sign up. It is entirely up to you what to do what you like, as it is up to the coders to do as they like as well.

P.s. Sharing a screenshot you had with someone else is not cool. That is something which is between you and the other person.

If anything, what is greedy is users expecting everything to be given to them for nothing.
Kind of a hard habit to shake when coming from vB... .vB.org was created with an explicit rule that no premium plugins where to be uploaded on their site.. I think a lot of it just stems from years and years of receiving "Lite" versions of everything for free. Not that i disagree with your point just making a point of my own.. Im personally ok with paying for resources.. I just wish their was a similar forum as vB.orgs graveyard so us non techy types don't purchase something we have no knowledge of its hidden contents.. @Mike @Kier must have a position on the subject?

Top Bottom