Add "No replies" setting to New Threads widget to create an Unanswered Threads widget

beerForo

This simple addition could transform the New Threads widget into an Unanswered Threads widget.

[✓] Thread has no replies
Use this setting to create an Unanswered Threads widget.

Use case: Often times questions go unanswered. So select your help and question forums only, this setting, and name it Unanswered Threads/Questions or similar.

Thanks for considering.

Upvote 9
This is for a widget, which would entail editing the template, and affecting all New Threads widgets.

Unless this field can be used?:
Display condition
This should be entered as a template-style expression.

No that won't work in a widget but it might if you used it as a full link (https://{your-domain}/find-threads/unanswered) - not sure.

This is something that would be important for all forums - one of the biggest complaints about forums is that it's more difficult to get an answer to a question quickly compared to FB. One of the ways we can combat this is to give the admin the ability to bring more visibility to unanswered questions in certain forums, via widgets and links to lists. Would be nice to be able to find a way to use alerts for new questions somehow.

I agree with this suggestion. While only a small addition if implemented, it does bring another nice widget feature that I know a lot of people would appreciate.

It works perfectly as a link in the navbar. Why does it have to be a widget which takes up more space on the page?

However, if you need it as a widget, this works.

Create a new widget using New Posts as the widget definition.

Then just fill in the locations, how many you want displayed, etc., and use the conditional in the image below.

no-replies.pngno-replies2.png

With those settings, the sidebar widget looks like this:

no-replies-sample-widget.webp

It works perfectly as a link in the navbar. Why does it have to be a widget which takes up more space on the page?

Then just fill in the locations, how many you want displayed, etc., and use the conditional in the image below.

View attachment 225221View attachment 225222
How would that conditional be formatted for 1.5?

View attachment 225221View attachment 225222

With those settings, the sidebar widget looks like this:

View attachment 225223
Wait a minute, I'm not sure that display condition will act as filter and only list threads that don't have replies. Doesn't that control if the entire widget displays or not, and where it displays, depending on the criteria entered?

I'll respond to this question real quick too... The link in the navbar points to a page with an unfiltered list of posts with no replies. For some of us (I'd imagine many of us), that list isn't very useful because some of our forums/sub-forums aren't Q&A forums, thus, the threads that show up in the Unanswered list aren't necessarily "unanswered". For example, many of us have nodes that act as Classifieds listings, which don't make sense to be listed as "unanswered". Without being able to filter that page to remove specific forum nodes, that page is nearly useless. I certainly can't point members to it to have them look for questions that need answers.

A widget that we have control over the filtering will allow us to bring more visibility to the threads that need to be answered.

Wait a minute, I'm not sure that display condition will act as filter and only list threads that don't have replies. Doesn't that control if the entire widget displays or not, and where it displays, depending on the criteria entered?
You're partly right.

Just double checked and neither $thread.reply_count < 1 nor $thread.reply_count == 0 in fact gives you zero reply threads.

Doesn't that control if the entire widget displays or not, and where it displays, depending on the criteria entered?
Correct.

I tried a few other guesses. Either nothing is displayed or the most recent threads regardless of number of replies is displayed.

@Chris D ??
There is no way to currently do what you're asking, hence why this suggestion exists, I suppose.

There is no way to currently do what you're asking, hence why this suggestion exists, I suppose.

That is correct however this solves it for now. :)

It's actually a really cool widget because it has read/unread (bold title) status of posts which XF does not have in the widget so I actually used this to replace the New Posts widget and it looks exactly the same but with bold titles for unread. The bonus is you can do all the other stuff too. Unanswered, Popular. ;)

You're partly right.

Just double checked and neither $thread.reply_count < 1 nor $thread.reply_count == 0 in fact gives you zero reply threads.

this widget does not show me zero messages

||
V

no-replies-sample-widget-png.225223

https://www.maasmutemetleri.net/forum

1589892637104.png

1589892742716.png

Top Bottom