Add navigation tab

Morgain

How do I add a new tab to the navigation bar please?
It just needs a link to open a new page.

Apologies if this duplicates as it's so basic but I did search.

The tabs add-on looks wonderful - I can even select my most used admin pages for a dropdown - bliss.

Only I can't see how to download it.

Download the latest build here: http://xenfans.com/threads/1435/
This just refreshes my page.

COOKIE CHECK
If I login and on the cookie alert I Accept for session, that's OK to log ion.
But then I can't download the add-on.
I clear that cookie and remove xenfans from the Allow for session list, check there is no other listing for xenfans in the cookie file.
Try to login again. This time I select Allow for your cookie.
Error message "Cookies are required to log in to this site. You will not be able to login until they are accepted."

Floris the link you gave me goes to your page inh the XF forum - but the download is off your site so I'm no better off. I will contact you privately to ask if you could email me the zip.

I said it in here, and in the private msgs I got from you.

Here's a pro tip: Attachments to releases are 9 out of 10 times in the release thread, at the bottom.

With EVERY forum discussion that is to your interest it is of utter most importance to read AT LEAST the first post.

Just glancing at a title, the first word and potentially a picture .. is just not how things are done.

I said it in here, and in the private msgs I got from you.

Here's a pro tip: Attachments to releases are 9 out of 10 times in the release thread, at the bottom.

With EVERY forum discussion that is to your interest it is of utter most importance to read AT LEAST the first post.

Just glancing at a title, the first word and potentially a picture .. is just not how things are done.

Floris I'm sorry this has been annoying for you.
Unfortunately as you say it's only 9 times out of 10 that everyone follows expected custom. So it can't be taken for granted that download links are always in the same place.
In this case the Instructions tell me to get the latest build from (xenfans link). That makes it logical that you are telling me to download from the xenfans link.
It possibly might be worth considering adding at that point "or download from the link at the bottom of these Instructions." That would make it clear that you are offering TWO download links.
Generally when I'm writing help files or instru8ctions I aim at 10yrs old. Or I think of a flustered 80yrs. That's what trying something new does - it cuts the ability to notice and absorb. Making instructions baby simple saves on support later.
But I admit this is one of my strength areas as I do it professionally. I'm not a coder and the two skills do appeal to different types of people.

When I look into an add-on I read through the Instructions to see if I can handle it.
I also read the ENTIRE thread - even if it's 50 or 150 messages. If there are previous versions I often check those too on other threads. I might do searches to see others comments on other threads. I want to know exactly what I'm getting into - what problems arose for others, what they liked, and what adaptations and customisations are possible.

Enormous thanks for your clever work and for your patience with me in accessing it.

I can't say more than that your arguments are complete nonsense.

> How do I do this? You ask.
> I made a plugin for that! I reply.

> I can't download the .zip on your site. You inform me.
> That's ok, I say, I've also released the same thing on THIS web site.

And you follow the link in the instructions back to my site.

I simply can't comprehend that you can't grasp the concept that both pages mention the same title, the same version, the same .zip file. And that this step causes an endless cycle for you.

What do you do when you wake up in bed, where the instructions were to go to bed to sleep. You go back to sleep?

If you actually have read the entire thread, you would have seen the attachment at the bottom of the first post.

Top Bottom