Add BBX Escrow Crowdfunding App to xenforo.com to stimulate addon development

Alpha1

BancBox Crowd has a very simple API that would allow xenforo.com members to crowdfund new addons and pay developers through escrow.
If the developer does not deliver then the investment is returned to the investors.
More information here: https://www.bancboxcrowd.com/howitworks.html

I believe crowdfunding could bring many new addons for XenForo. Especially with Escrow allowing members to invest without risk of developers disappearing.

Crowd funding really hasn't worked well here in the past for large scale projects.

I disagree it should be added here as any developer who wishes to crowd fund a project can do so without it being integrated into the software.

And the software here should stay as vanilla as possible and only run Official XenForo add-ons.

If you have a big project, then the developer(s) will need to get convinced that they will get paid.
The fact that there is a group of people willing to invest is often too vague, because its not likely that everyone in the group will pull through. I know this from experience with group funding vbulletin addons.
An escrow crowd funding app would be a solution to that problem.

Finding a reliable developer from addon development is indeed another hurdle. It would be nice to see a feedback similar to system itrader/elance so that we can see which developers/designers/clients have completed projects to satisfaction.

And then there are the developers who take the seed money and you never see a finished product.

No. This isn't something that should be part of XenForo.com.

And then there are the developers who take the seed money and you never see a finished product.
An escrow service with milestones gives a lot more safety than hiring developers without escrow. Escrow prevents developers running with the money, because they only get paid after the clients agree that a milestone is completed.

Still not something that should be part of XF. Feel free to set up an independent site for it, but this should never, ever be an accepted part of the company.

Why such pushback?

The why should be blatantly obvious. XenForo isn't in the business of controlling funding for third party development. The addition of an API that is expressly used for such funding would dictate the company would have to step in and arbitrate any issues that arise.

If someone wants to create an independent site that does this, more power to them.

The why should be blatantly obvious. XenForo isn't in the business of controlling funding for third party development. The addition of an API that is expressly used for such funding would dictate the company would have to step in and arbitrate any issues that arise.

If someone wants to create an independent site that does this, more power to them.

It isn't blatantly obvious, just your OWN PERSONAL VIEW.

I don't care to get into international liability law with you but they wouldn't necessarily have to mediate anything. That is where the use of a third party escrow service and terms of use contracts come into play.

Now maybe it's something they don't care to get into but it certainly isn't blatantly obvious. You obviously feel strongly opposed to it and I merely asked why. Are you always on edge and looking for an argument?

I agree such thing doesn't belong here. You can use it on a third-party site, specialized in xenforo add-ons. For this someone needs to step up and create such site though.

I agree such thing doesn't belong here. You can use it on a third-party site, specialized in xenforo add-ons. For this someone needs to step up and create such site though.
AFAIK there is no such site where you can set up an escrow group buy with milestones.
Normal crowdfunding sites only allow a creator to set up a project. The clients can not do so.
If there are service that have such function then please let me know because I can not find such site.

Why such pushback?

Maybe because the XF site would have no real control over it? Maybe because it would better be supported as a private site so there is no possibility of liability upon the part of XF (the word lawsuit ring a bell?). My opinion (and yes, it IS my opinion) is this would be better suited as an add-on for XF and then you can feel free to set up a site to allow it and become THE xenForo crowd-sourcing site.

This is something I can see maybe being made into an add-on from an outside source. I don't see this being needed or added into the actual development of XenForo.

This is not a functionality suggestion for the XenForo software. Therefore no addon needs to be made.
The suggestion only pertains to the possibility of doing group buys / group hiring to have addons created.

This is not a functionality suggestion for the XenForo software. Therefore no addon needs to be made.
The suggestion only pertains to the possibility of doing group buys / group hiring to have addons created.

Knock yourself out. Create a third party site that specializes in funding XF addons. It's still not something that should be done on this site.

Top Bottom