Add an RSS feed block to the sidebar [Deleted]

I tried for hours to get that to work, in the end I couldn't.

Which is why I was forced to set 2 rows for the snippet title.

It's just another example of why people shouldn't use IE, IMO.

LOL I hear you about IE, but I can't change "Group Policies" or the browsing habbits of my users :-)
I can live with the double lines, maybe I'll see if there is a way to chop the length of the title...

Brogan, I also have the Donations addon installed in my sidebar. The RSS feed block works great, but I want to move the Donation block BELOW it, instead of above as it is now. Can you provide a hint?

swap.webp

Just move the <xen:include template="cta_rss_feed_sidebar" /> line above the include for the donations block.

Just move the <xen:include template="cta_rss_feed_sidebar" /> line above the include for the donations block.
In which template? I don't see both items in the same template. As far as I can tell, the only GP_Donations include statement is in the 'forum_list' template.
Scratching my head. :confused:

In that case just delete the <xen:include template="cta_rss_feed_sidebar" /> from PAGE_CONTAINER and add it to forum_list above the GP_Donations include.

Set this up today. It's beautiful! I do have some questions:

1. The feed currently appears on many pages: portal, forums, xenMedia, even the Members page. I'd like to limit it to just the main page and possibly the forums. My limited experience tells me to modify the xen if statement in the PAGE_CONTAINER but I have no idea how to code the change.

2. These feeds link to news off my site. When I have an interest in a RSS feed, I set up XF to automatically get the feed and post it in my forums. I would like to keep my visitors on my own site rather then sending them to other sites. Would I just then set my own site's RSS feed up as the source?

3. Lastly a CSS question. I have enough experience to modify existing CSS code but not enough to write my own. Within the CSS you provided there are only two colors specified. One is the title's underline, the other is the background for the sub-section headers. It appears there are 3 text colors in use: News (at the top), the article titles, and the feed titles. How can I change those colors to match the rest of my site?

Remove it from PAGE_CONTAINER and add it to forum_list if you just want it to show there.

Yes you can set your own site's RSS feeds as the source.
It's a bit of an odd way to do it as you're effectively requesting content from your own site via a 3rd party but if it works...

The css uses the @ variable so it should automatically update for your site.
You can of course change it to suit.

Anything which is color is text colour so just edit all of those instances.

Remove it from PAGE_CONTAINER and add it to forum_list if you just want it to show there.

Yes you can set your own site's RSS feeds as the source.
It's a bit of an odd way to do it as you're effectively requesting content from your own site via a 3rd party but if it works...

The css uses the @ variable so it should automatically update for your site.
You can of course change it to suit.

Anything which is color is text colour so just edit all of those instances.

Brogan,

Do you know of a way to cache the news feed, so it doesn't fetch each time a user loads the page? I don't see these updating much in 24 hours so I would like to set a cache time of like 1 hour to speed up the forum home load time.

I've been reading a bit here and some other places, but have yet to understand how to apply it to this script. Sure would speed things up if I could store it locally instead of fetching it 1000+ times a day.

I know it can be done.

Rss2html.php is a free script, that converts RSS feeds into HTML web pages has been made freely available by NotePage, Inc. The rss2html.php script allows webmasters to display RSS feeds on their website.

The new rss2html Cache module will expedite the retrieval and conversion of RSS feeds into html web pages.

Once the feed is cached it will be read from the local hard drive for a specified amount of time. After the specified time has lapsed, the RSS feed will be fetched again. This allows the contents of the RSS feed being displayed to remain current, while expediting the whole process.

Additionally, the script reduces bandwidth usage. The bandwidth is reduced because the web server does not have to repeatedly fetch the same RSS feed from a remote server

Just have to figure out how to incorporate the above script into the news script.

I've just spent the best part of 3 hours debugging this, because all of a sudden the script started to ignore any options I set within "cta_rss_feed_sidebar".

Admitedly I've changed a couple of things, but nothing of which should affect the script's function, and indeed it was working fine until a couple of days ago. After tinkering with various things, I found that changing the "options" var to "rssoptions" (2 instances) seemed to fix it. I'm guessing there was some kind of conflict going on with something else, even though I hadn't changed anything to break it.. Weird.

Brogan
My news feed is showing:
2 row main title...1 row list title in FF
2 row main title...2 rows list title in IE

Both show the list title as underlined when the main title is shown for that entry.

How can I make IE the same as FF i.e. 2 row main title and 1 row list title?

Also, how can I make the link open up in the same window?

Top Bottom