Adblock, love and hate

Nuno

Hi,

I have been measuring adblock in my community and numbers are near 23%.
Personally I use uBlock dynamically filtered (advanced mode) configured to allow ads by default, I only block ads when things are getting hard in some sites that show tons of ads/popups and it's almost impossible to see the content.

So, I don't censure the use of adblockers ... people are free to do what they want, but when we work hard managing our communities with our free time, paying for licenses, servers, themes, plugins, etc I think it's fair we can do something to override this.

These visitors are getting into our communities because they are searching for information. We don't charge them anything, it's free ... but if they don't want to see some ads and support our effort and the overall community effort to give them information the don't pay, we have the right to not allow them to see it .. that's the tradeoff ... we give them the information they want for free and they allow some ad impressions so we can pay the bills! That's fair enough!

So, I'm thinking about placing some notice or limit what adblockers can view, asking them to give permission to show ads on our community or to register, since members are ads free.

What are your doing regarding this matter?
If you are doing anything, what are your results?

Thanks

Last edited:
Adblocking is a product of the industry. The fact that ads are intrusive and potentially harmful has forced the need for Adblock. My community has a 60% adblock rate. What I did last month was disable adblock for all registered members; because regular ads are pretty pointless.

Hi,

I have been measuring adblock in my community and numbers are near 23%.
Personally I use uBlock dynamically filtered (advanced mode) configured to allow ads by default, I only block ads when things are getting hard in some sites that show tons of ads/popups and it's almost impossible to see the content.

So, I don't censure the use of adblockers ... people are free to do what they want, but when we work hard managing our communities with our free time, paying for licenses, servers, themes, plugins, etc I think it's fair we can do something to override this.

These visitors are getting into our communities because they are searching for information. We don't charge them anything, it's free ... but if they don't want to see some ads and support our effort and the overall community effort to give them information the don't pay, we have the right to not allow them to see it .. that's the tradeoff ... we give them the information they want for free and they allow some ad impressions so we can pay the bills! That's fair enough!

So, I'm thinking about placing some notice or limit what adblockers can view, asking them to give permission to show ads on our community or to register, since members are ads free.

What are your doing regarding this matter?
If you are doing anything, what are your results?

Thanks
Can you tell me how you are monitoring who is using ad block? Thanks!

Pagefair can do it ..

I use this with adsense:

Code:
<script>
  window.onload = function() {
      setTimeout(function() {
      var ad = document.querySelector("ins.adsbygoogle");
      if (ad && ad.innerHTML.replace(/\s/g, "").length == 0) {
        if (typeof ga !== 'undefined') {
            ga('send', 'event', 'Adblock', 'Yes', {'nonInteraction': 1});
        } else if (typeof _gaq !== 'undefined') {
             _gaq.push(['_trackEvent', 'Adblock', 'Yes', undefined, undefined, true]);
        }
      }
    }, 2000);
  };
</script>

You will see the results in you analytics account under events.

Regarding this dilema, Eventually I will only show a small div in the bottom asking people to register so the can browser the forum ads free!

Adblocking is a product of the industry. The fact that ads are intrusive and potentially harmful has forced the need for Adblock. My community has a 60% adblock rate. What I did last month was disable adblock for all registered members; because regular ads are pretty pointless.

How do you measure how many are using ad bock?

Thanks. I put this in one of the ad template. Is the the right place?

Events? What do I look for?

EDIT: Got it. Thanks.

Pagefair can do it ..

I use this with adsense:

Code:
<script>
      setTimeout(function() {
        }
      }
    }, 2000);
  };
</script>

How do you measure how many are using ad bock?
I use Google Analytics to push ID codes for whether or not someone gets an ad or not (or if they are a premium member). Or at least I used to... I no longer serve ads to my members; so I removed those scripts. Unfortunately I don't have it saved anywhere on how I did it...

I do remember though, that its an extrapolation of these two guides I wrote back in the day:

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/differentiating-members-and-guests-in-google-analytics.2648/
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/jaxels-implementation-of-ad-block-detection.2160/

image.webp

I must be doing something wrong. This says 100% of users, is Adblock. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Pagefair can do it ..

I use this with adsense:

Code:
<script>
      setTimeout(function() {
        }
      }
    }, 2000);
  };
</script>

Top Bottom