Actually, a post-sale question

• Thread starter Thread starter 3c
  • Start date Start date

3c

I purchased Xenforo to add to a website about 8 months or so ago. The website itself has never taken off and I will take it down before renewal time, which is next month.

There is a church group that I'm part of that is putting up a small website, and I would like to know whether I can basically give the license to them to use. I am building their website now, so I would be the one setting up the forum on their site, so there is no issue in that regard since I own the license anyway. I just need to know I'm not going outside of any licensing agreements with you guys.

Thanks for any info!

You're fine to do this.

From the License Agreement:
The Software may be permanently transferred by the original purchaser to a third party ("Subsequent Licensee") not before 120 days following purchase, provided that the expiry date of the License falls after the date of the transfer. The original licensee may not retain a copy or installation of the Software. The Subsequent Licensee must agree to the terms of this Agreement and waive the right to transfer.

What you should do is open a support ticket so you can formalise the transfer of the license. That way, should they need subsequent renewals or support, they can do so via the Customer Area.

Ok, that's how I thought it would be, just wanted to check and make sure, especially since some things are considered differently across the pond. ;)

Thanks Chris..

3c if you are setting it up for them you can still be a named user of the software on their site. You need to add your username on this forum to the registration when it's been transferred.

Hey Morgain! ltns...I was just looking at your website as I remembered you were going through the process of getting...Furhman? I think.... to help you with pages...

I'm wondering if it might be simpler for me to just build their site using xF instead of just adding it as a forum....all they will have will be the usual "about us" "contact us", etc, etc...except for articles...will have quite a few of them eventually,....xF pages. Was looking to see how the pages aspect of xF has developed while I was gone....

Hey Morgain! ltns...I was just looking at your website as I remembered you were going through the process of getting...Furhman? I think.... to help you with pages...

I'm wondering if it might be simpler for me to just build their site using xF instead of just adding it as a forum....all they will have will be the usual "about us" "contact us", etc, etc...except for articles...will have quite a few of them eventually,....xF pages. Was looking to see how the pages aspect of xF has developed while I was gone....

Use the library addon linked in Morgain's signature for articles. And yes you can build the entire site with XF. I am doing the same.

With Library you can write pages and include pictures - everything is exactly like writing a forum post. You create a Library in admin (with permissions to view, it is a new node type)
after that you create Articles on the frontend.
Example.
http://www.housemorgain.co.uk/circle/library-articles/about-using-the-forums.17/

The article can paginate - pages 1 2 3
and you can also grant editor ability to a usergroup or user.
The article has a preview text and lists in a Library.
You can make an article display in the forumlist on its own using a Link Forum.
You can also link an Article to a selected discussion thread.

Together with the essential Nodes as Tabs addon this means the whole site becomes very flexible.

However a Library Article does not do columns, nor can it include php commands. For that you need XF Pages.

I was reading that a bit ago. I think in some ways this will really make my job extremely easier for what the end goals of the website would be anyway. My only question I have on the library part is this....is it possible to have the articles come up with a sidebar of links to other articles?

Kind of a 80% of page for article with a 20% sidebar showing just the titles of other articles as links? Guess that would look something like some blog setups but not wanting a blog per se as there will only be a couple of users that will post articles. Just thinking of that as a layout scheme...haven't seen where that was built into that addon ..or I missed it, which is entirely possible..:rolleyes:

Also, the start of the website I have is Responsive and I'd rather not lose that to switch it all to xF, so looking at that aspect too.

There's an addon Widget Framework using which you can show a sidebar on any area of the site you like. There's this additional exceptional addon WidgetPortal using which you can design a home page with widgets. In case you do not want to use the full fledged Library Addon for articles, Widget Portal also has an article view using which the threads will appear like articles.

Widgets might suit you better in terms of the sidebar.

I created a template in which I have my sidebar.
Then there's a little snippet of code you insert in various other templates to make it appear on diofferent types of pages.
There's no one place to insert it for it to appear everywhere.
This way does mean you have to make the sidebar yourself but that means you control exactly what goes in it. But it wouldn't have any automatic updating of threads or articles.
Instructions are in my sig: Sidebar Everywhere + Custom Content.

Top Bottom