Activation Emails Seen As Spam

ddmmh

Hi guys,

Ive had a few friends sign up to help me test out the forums and for all of them the activation email was in the junk/spam folder. Kind of worrys me because a lot of people still dont know to check spam email if the activation isnt in their inbox. Is there I way i can find out whats triggering my email as spam and how I can change it so its at least accepted by the mainstream email provides like hotmail, gmail, yahoo etc..

Cheers guys

[ot]
personally I would love to see Phplist integrated with XF
I've heard from somebody, that the addicted add-on coder named ragtek have this already, and that it will be hopefully released soon on his board
pfeifen.gif

[/ot]

I have a small.. well big actually, issue with emails
I tried sending an email out on my 2nd xf forum for the first time last week and no matter what I did, my "test email" went to my spam filter but I sent a mass email out anything thinking it may of just been gmail.
I've noticed a few members coming back and saying it was in their spam folder as well.
I've check the -f option and I still get the email in my spam folder using the test email option.

Could I get a little help or suggestion

All of that was completely over my head.

mine too :(

I have a small.. well big actually, issue with emails
I tried sending an email out on my 2nd xf forum for the first time last week and no matter what I did, my "test email" went to my spam filter but I sent a mass email out anything thinking it may of just been gmail.
I've noticed a few members coming back and saying it was in their spam folder as well.
I've check the -f option and I still get the email in my spam folder using the test email option.

Could I get a little help or suggestion

mine too :(

This post has all of the suggestions I have seen posted:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/dealing-with-spam-filters.8530/

This is a spam filter problem not a XenForo problem. If after addressing those common red flags you still have the problem then you need to contact the recipient mail host that is blocking you.

This is a spam filter problem not a XenForo problem. If after addressing those common red flags you still have the problem then you need to contact the recipient mail host that is blocking you.

Jake,

It wouldn't hurt to mention SPF and DKIM or at least point to some of the more generic articles.

Additionally, people can use this address to send a test email to, to see how their domain is viewed: check-auth [at] verifier.port25.com
Just send a blank email to that address from a domain name you want to test and it will reply with a test report and a basic spam scoring benchmark.

These things will help move their mail through places that have tough spam filtering rules.

Edit: As you mentioned, you can also contact the email providers and as long as you meet their requirements, they'll stop blocking you. Yahoo and Hotmail, I've worked with directly by providing what they ask for. Rarely do our emails get hung in the spam filters. (We have Reverse DNS, SPF and DKIM configured)

Hm. What about the way, to configure php to use smtp. That's also possible.
My plans go in this direction with google apps set up as mail client, and no local sendmail installed.

hmmm..
not trying to argue with you but it worked fine on vBulletin, not sure why they would go to spam from xenforo..

also what option controls what email the "test" email is sent to?
it's showing up in my inbox for gmail now but IDK if that's because I've told it it's not spam so many times...

it worked fine on vBulletin, not sure why they would go to spam from xenforo..

It may have been a difference in your mail configuration, such as the -f parameter which both forum applications support as an option. Or it may be a difference in the content of the email.

also what option controls what email the "test" email is sent to?
it's showing up in my inbox for gmail now but IDK if that's because I've told it it's not spam so many times...

The contact form sends to this address:

Admin CP -> Home -> Options -> Basic Board Information -> Contact Email Address

Note that the email address shown on the contact form is the "from" address, not the "to" address. The "from" address is the email for the logged in user. The "to" address is not visible in the contact form.

Note that the email address shown on the contact form is the "from" address, not the "to" address. The "from" address is the email for the logged in user. The "to" address is not visible in the contact form.
I may of edited my reply after you

but this is what I'm trying to do

admin > users > email users

fill out some info, and send a test email to see if that goes in my spam box like my mass email did last week

Top Bottom