Access 1 computer from 2 different places?

=MGN=RedEagle

Hi there,

I have a powerful PC (PC A) which I want to access from a location 30 meters away from another PC (PC B).

PC A contains all my files, projects, programs etc.

I want to be able to start a project on PC A and pick up right where I left off later on PC B.

What is the best way to do this?

1) I use both for game creation and video editing. It's becoming an issue moving files and installing software on both machines.
2) I have tried Remote Desktop software but the problem is it cannot send video to me in real time.
3) KVM - I am thinking about this. I had something setup with a KVM switch before but all that stuff is outdated now (was using VGA/USB 1).

2) I have tried Remote Desktop software but the problem is it cannot send video to me in real time.
Was going to suggest VNC too until I saw this.

Since you need really low latency for video I'd lean towards the KVM approach too. This might fit the bill:
https://www.amazon.com/Syba-Switch-2-Port-Audio-SY-KVM31036/dp/B00E1HGJ7Q

But the biggest problem is cables. At 30m, HDMI cables start to get very pricey. And it seems USB 3 can't reach those lengths without an active repeater. Again, very pricey.

But maybe worth it if it will make your life a lot easier.

Put 10gbit card in between both systems, or at least 1gbit, make a p2p connection.
Since it's just 30m, this should be fine. cat6 does 10gbit up to 55m, cat6a and cat7 give you a bit more length.

You can use remote desktop features from the OS, or remote telnet, or something like TeamViewer.
The higher p2p network speeds are stand alone and will help feel on pcA as if the drives from pcB are local.

KVM switching might also be an option like optic suggested.

Top Bottom