1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Absolute URLs with xenforo

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by musictomy, Aug 14, 2015.

1. musictomy

musictomy Member

I would like to use absolute links within some areas of forum, mainly say testing so that when I restore Forum configuration all links are correct.

is there a way of doing this please

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Which links are you referring to?

3. musictomy

musictomy Member

Say
    Help | XenForo Community
    For example:
    I would want that to go to my domain no matter what domain as below
    /community/help/

4. Brogan

That already happens automatically.

It's not really clear what you're trying to do.

5. musictomy

musictomy Member

6. Brogan

If you are referring to links posted in threads, there is no mechanism for that.

You would have to update the post content using queries or this add-on: Post Content Find / Replace

7. musictomy

musictomy Member

Thank you for clearing that up and helping.

8. Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky Well-Known Member

I think your terminology may be back to front. An absolute link (URL) is fixed and depends on having the exact same domain name as the site. However a relative link would be one that does not include the domain name and would work irrespective of the domain name (provided that they are always from the same directory level)

So the absolute examplesite.com - This website is for sale! - example site Resources and Information. will always work provided the page /community/help/ is on examplesite.com - This website is for sale! - example site Resources and Information. - but if you change your forum URL you need to change examplesite.com - This website is for sale! - example site Resources and Information. to http://examplenewsite.com/

But the relative /community/help/ will allow you to change your forum URL and still work, but would not work if the link is in a deeper or higher subdirectory.

Seems you can't have it both ways.

The ideal would be if there was a way to use the server path

9. Mr Lucky

What's going on here, who put all that This website is for sale! stuff in there? I didn't write that!

10. Brogan

URL title conversion.

11. Mr Lucky

Why? What? How?

12. Brogan

13. Mr Lucky

14. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

The site exists and that's the title on the site. Click it and you will see.

15. Mr Lucky

OK, but I just want to show the URL, as an example, not the title of the site. If I'd wanted to do that i would have written it.

16. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

XenForo auto converts URLs now. Surrounding it by the PLAIN tag should work.

Amaury likes this.
  17. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member