About to Buy! Final Questions (I think)

Drae

I'm hoping these are my final questions so I can go and buy the software now :) I think I'm almost done with the pre-conversion prep!

For help purposes: I am converting a Zetaboards forum to Xenforo. A friend is using a bot to gather our posts and accounts, converting it to PHPBB and then to XF.

Deleted Users: We currently have a few deleted users, but their posts are still on our board (old threads/topics won't make much sense if their content is also deleted). When we convert, do these come with us? And does it say the member name or "Deleted User"?

Avatars & Signatures: will these move over with us (if anyone knows)?

With the blog add-ons: Is it possible to have a "latest blog entries" on the sidebar as it is for status updates?

Upon Buying and Uploading: I'll admit, I have little to no idea what I'm doing - this is my first time going into paid hosting so I'll probably be asking how to do quite a few things the more tech-savvy members of this community know how to do (like fixing the links and the share search results mod - I saw a thread explaining how to do it but I got lost reading it). I was going to piggy-back host but I feel I wouldn't learn anything that way so I'm doing it for myself :) My inexperience aside for a moment though, I probably won't be able to import the database straight away onto the Xenforo, so what can I do on the XF forum whilst waiting to get my forum's current database from my friend who is converting it to XF for me?

Members: I've tried to prepare my memberbase as much as possible, they know the pros that are easily apparent, but is there anything I should tell them to expect when we move over? (Like for example, I have been told that each member will need to reset their password or something?)

Spoilers: I've seen a few XF communities with spoilers. Our current software allows for spoilers too and the community uses them a lot - does XF have spoilers as on the test forum I have I couldn't find a way to code them in. Is it also possible to design how they look with the skin's coding (the ones I have seen are little grey ugly buttons)?

1) Deleted users.

Guest posts normally come with the username, but the name isn't linked to a profile.

2) Avatars & Sigs.

Yes.

3) Blogs.

Umm, not sure. This addon manages sidebar blocks:

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/bd-widget-framework.297/

But I see no blog widget. Custom code is probably required.

4) Import process.

You can do your custom development on your XF installation before the import. Just be sure to backup the forum before doing the import so you can revert if needed. You want to avoid a situation where you run an import multiple times on the same database because you get duplicate content. A backup beforehand will avoid this problem.

5) Members.

Yeah passwords are the main consideration for your users. But if their emails are imported then they can use this form:

http://xenforo.com/community/lost-password/

6) Spoilers.

Here is an addon:

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/rt-spoiler.847/

Thank you to both of you for your help :)

3) Blogs.

Umm, not sure. This addon manages sidebar blocks:

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/bd-widget-framework.297/

But I see no blog widget. Custom code is probably required.

4) Import process.

You can do your custom development on your XF installation before the import. Just be sure to backup the forum before doing the import so you can revert if needed. You want to avoid a situation where you run an import multiple times on the same database because you get duplicate content. A backup beforehand will avoid this problem.

For the blog, would it be possible to request such a code here?

For the import/set-up: Quick question as I've been told previously that forum sections get imported over, but does this mean I can at also tend to adding the trophies whilst awaiting the database, along with the initial bits and pieces?

Thanks. I'm aware that they have a legal battle on their hands and have some issues in regards to time, but I have bought the software since starting this topic (I just haven't uploaded it as I randomly decided to switch hosts this morning), and fully support XF in its future :) It's the best software out there for my community's needs, and the only one that stood out and made me love it when I tried it along with PHPBB, MyBB and IPBoard.

Top Bottom