1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About SEO

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Dark_Hunter, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Dark_Hunter

Dark_Hunter Member

Hey, I noticed in the URL that the title of the thread, I also noticed it does words below 3 or less, like "the" and "is" not sure if you all know this but Google ignores words less than 3 letters. Sorry if you don't get it.
  2. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

so what is your suggestion in order to improve this ?
  3. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

4. mrGTB

mrGTB Well-Known Member

I've heard also that when writing a title for an article you should try and avoid 1,2 and 3 common words like: "the, and, is, was, a, it" e.t.c. But people will still use them because they are so commonly used words.

Must admit though, when I used WordPress and wrote articles. I did avoid using them in titles. Not as easy to do as you might think too.
  5. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

It doesn't help, but if they're in the thread title, then you can't help it, or you can retitle the thread.
  6. erich37

7. mrGTB

mrGTB Well-Known Member

Talking forums, it's pretty impossible to stop members using them. You need to be running a site where only you start things, so have full control over the titles used. Hence why I brought-up using WordPress as a prime an example.

Unless of course you allow members to join your Blog and start articles.
  8. erich37

you better go and use WordPress then, great idea ! :D

But you can also start a Forum, at which members are not allowed to use words like "this", "is", "the", "end", "my", "friend".

That is actually a great business-idea for a targeted niche-Forum :rolleyes:
  9. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

Using them in the title is perfectly fine, you just need to drop the common words from the url.
  10. Floris

Floris Guest

These days when I see "SEO" I read "I hate vBSEO".
  11. Dark_Hunter

Dark_Hunter Member

I guess I was mistaken, because Google use to say this " the follow is to common and was not included in your search."
  12. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

That only applies to searching and not indexing iirc.
  13. Dark_Hunter

Dark_Hunter Member

Oh, ok then.
  14. Mythotical

Mythotical Well-Known Member

What made SEO popular? vBSEO did, SEO was non-existent on forums until then. Kier and Mike have taken a step towards what SEO truly represents. Not rankings, money, but a means to search and find those sites/topics more accurately.
    el canadiano, KURTZ and Nick like this.
  15. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

I'm certainly confused, did not know google and other search engines had so much respect for forums at all, let alone a specific company.

16. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

I think he means, as he said in the rest of his post, that before vBSEO came along, SEO wasn't a big "thing" in the forum industry (as in, it wasn't something forum administrators were really concerned with).
  17. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

The other way round, lol.
  18. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Huh? Isn't:
    saying the same as:
  19. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Apart from that non-existant != not a big thing, yes. I mean Abomination got it the wrong way round.
  20. x3sphere

x3sphere Active Member

They used to omit some three-letter words. Not anymore.

As far as vBSEO is concerned, it's useless on a 4.x board. vB 3.8.x did have some duplicate content and canonicalization issues (easily fixable yourself, however). vB 4 is fixed in this regard. Even still, Google is usually smart enough to filter out supplemental content pages even without the help of nofollow (like a 'show printable' page, etc).

I know this won't change the mind of people who swear by it, but whatever :p It's your money not mine.