XF 1.4 ? About moving database over after server migration

surfsup

We have moved all the files and databases over to the new server but still using the old host currently while testing out the new server but my question is, once the server is good to go will all we need to do is just put the previous server in maintennce mode then just overwrite the mysql db on the new server and change DNS?

Will we keep all our latest posts by doing it that way or what do you suggest?

If you move the DB (as in dump, move dump to new server and import it), that will maintain most of the content. You would need to bring the files across as well to be complete (the data and internal_data directories change).

If you move the DB (as in dump, move dump to new server and import it), that will maintain most of the content. You would need to bring the files across as well to be complete (the data and internal_data directories change).
Yeah the new server company stated that the migration was already completed, from PLESK to CPANEL - so i was going to test it out but wasn't sure if I needed to re-upload the file dir or if I could just export the db and import (overwrite) it into the new server?

This is what the server company stated:

If your forums use mysql dbs, and the Dbs are in the same naming scheme to what Cpanel uses, then it should be possible to import a db dump. Outside of that, any type of db transfer is not going to be supported. Are your forum posts stored in a DB? If so, then it maybe be possible to get db dumps (backups) and simply import them to the new server under their respective accounts, assuming the db naming scheme matches.

Regarding configurations on your server here with us. We have no history or any record of your sites. The only thing we can go on is what we see in the error logs on your server. So we will need you to let us know what modules (php/apache) your sites' require. The amount of time it takes to configure the new server is dependent upon you. If there are individual sites you'd like us to check the logs for, we'd be happy to do that and make changes on an individual basis. Honestly based on how I see going thus far, I'd plan for the whole weekend on working with us to make sure all the configurations needs (php/apache etc) are in place. There are other things to consider like modsecurity blocking portions of your sites, which will no doubt need to be addressed.

The files (data/ and internal_data/) contain avatars and attachments (and potentially other data) that could change simply through use in the forum. They'd really need to be synced after the old forum is closed (so changes don't get missed). Same with the DB really.

I'm sort of confused what your host is bringing up with "DB naming schemes" as a mysqldump of a DB doesn't include a DB name, but I don't know the process they're going to use. Really, you just need to ensure the transfer/sync happens once the forum has been closed to ensure that you have all the latest data.

The XF requirements are really the standard modules in PHP plus what's listed here: https://xenforo.com/purchase/ Nothing exotic is required so that should be the standard.

Top Bottom